Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Christopher Gross <co...@gmail.com> on 2009/11/19 20:11:46 UTC

Migrating from Tomcat 5.5.25 to 6.0.22

On Solaris 10, using JDK 1.5.0_18-b02, I am trying to upgrade Tomcat from
5.5.25 to 6.0.22.

I have a script in /etc/init.d that starts/stops Tomcat and MySQL.
I'm getting a ClassNotFoundException for
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContextFacade when I try to start
Tomcat.
When I call the script to stop everything (I need to stop MySQL after the
failure before trying again), I get a ClassNotFoundException for
org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.

As far as obvious things that I have tried:
The server.xml has the main library pointing to ${catalina.home}/lib.
The ${catalina.home}/lib directory does have the correct permissions for
getting to the .jar files there.
I tried removing my .war files (and the exploded directories for them), in
case there was a class file conflict there.

Does anyone have any ideas of where I can look to try to resolve this?  Any
help would be appreciated.
The system is not accessible to the internet, so I would need to copy
anything from configuration files by hand in order to post them here.

-- Chris

Re: Migrating from Tomcat 5.5.25 to 6.0.22

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2009/11/19 Christopher Gross <co...@gmail.com>:
> When I call the script to stop everything (I need to stop MySQL after the
> failure before trying again), I get a ClassNotFoundException for
> org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.

Please note, that you cannot copy 5.5 configuration files to Tomcat
6.0.  You have to start with 6.0 files and make the necessary changes.

ClassNotFoundException for org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina is
usually caused by wrong catalina.properties

Re: Migrating from Tomcat 5.5.25 to 6.0.22

Posted by Hassan Schroeder <ha...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 11:11 AM, Christopher Gross <co...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Solaris 10, using JDK 1.5.0_18-b02, I am trying to upgrade Tomcat from
> 5.5.25 to 6.0.22.
>
> I have a script in /etc/init.d that starts/stops Tomcat and MySQL.
> I'm getting a ClassNotFoundException for
> org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContextFacade when I try to start
> Tomcat.

> As far as obvious things that I have tried:

Uh, starting Tomcat with `$CATALINA_HOME/bin/catalina.sh run`?

> Does anyone have any ideas of where I can look to try to resolve this?  Any
> help would be appreciated.
> The system is not accessible to the internet, so I would need to copy
> anything from configuration files by hand in order to post them here.

NP, we're all over that mind-reading thing :-)

twitter: @hassan

Re: Migrating from Tomcat 5.5.25 to 6.0.22

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Migrating from Tomcat 5.5.25 to 6.0.22

Posted by Christopher Gross <co...@gmail.com>.
The machine that I run Tomcat on isn't on the internet, and it isn't a local
machine.  I can try to copy it over again, it will just take some time to do
that.  If there are other methods that may work, I'd like to try them first.

I start Tomcat by running a script -- unfortunately sudo is misconfigured
and I can't get to it now to see what the call is to start Tomcat.
Hopefully that will be fixed soon, and I can provide you with that
information.

I tried just running the startup.sh script, and I get the same error as I
posted before (ClassNotFoundException for ApplicationContextFacade).

-- Chris

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by Christopher Gross <co...@gmail.com>.
Heh, a few typos on my part, sorry about that.  It is 6.0.20, and the
library stuff is in the catalina.properties file.

I downloaded the core (not windows installer) from the Apache Tomcat site.
Should I try downloading it again and copying it over?

Here is the trace from when I start Tomcat:
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContextFacade$1
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:188)
at
org.apache.catalina.security.SecurityClassLoad.loadCorePackage(SecurityClassLoad.java:53)
at
org.apache.catalina.security.SecurityClassLoad.securityClassLoad(SecurityClassLoad.java:40)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.init(Bootstrap.java:210)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Boostrap.main(Bootstrap.java:390)

I looked over the old configuration files for how things were set, but I did
use the new ones that come with 6.0.20.  Are you aware of a listing of
settings that were removed, or do I need to go through them line by line and
compare the files to what Apache has up on the 6.x documentation pages?

-- Chris

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 2:24 PM, Caldarale, Charles R <

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.