Posted to dev@gora.apache.org by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov> on 2011/11/20 19:32:30 UTC

[DISCUSS] Gora graduation board resolution (was Re: Towards Graduation)

Hey Lewis,

Thanks for getting this conversation started.

After Sam's email on general@ it also got me thinking about Gora.
IMHO, I think Gora has set out what it accomplished to do as far
as what the Incubator can give it.

1. We brought the project from outside of Apache and from Github to
the ASF infrastructure (got IP signoff, recorded on file with the ASF
secretary, etc.)

2. We vetted all of the license issues.

3. We made > 1 release (0.1-incubating by Henry, and 0.1.1-incubating
by me)

4. We've attracted new committers beyond the original proposal (Ioannis,
Lewis)

I'm going to use this as an opportunity as Gora's champion to put the following
resolution for the Board for discussion by the community. I'm going to suggest
3 candidates for the chair position, for several reasons: Enis, Henry, or Lewis.

Enis has been around in Gora since the beginning and he, Dogacan, and
Julien were its original progenitors at Github. Enis has always participated in
VOTEs, discussion on the mailing list, and with patches/etc., for the website
and Gora's core. Henry stepped up the most in my mind at the beginning
of the project, helping to file JIRA issues, learn a code base in large part
that he had never seen before, and he pushed hard to get Gora's first release
out the door. Lewis, even before he was a committer on Gora and PPMC member,
was a sweeping force of progress, and change (the positive kind!) He is a fantastic
and prolific ASF committer and PMC member on Nutch and has been really
getting Gora back on track.

So, I'll leave this thread up for a week and I'd like Enis, Henry and Lewis to
state whether or not they would like to be a candidate for VP, Gora, should
the board approve the resolution that we will VOTE on and put before them,
hopefully in time for the December board meeting. I'll call an official VOTE
next week on the resolution below.

In the meanwhile, I'll head over and update our Gora Incubator project page,
and bring it up to date. The resolution below includes all of the original PPMC
members from Gora. Please let me know whether you would NOT like to remain
on the PMC, otherwise, I'm assuming you would :-)

Here's the resolution:

X. Establish the Apache Gora Project

open-source software related to persistence, storage, and
retrieval middleware for relational and NoSQL databases
for distribution at no charge to the public.

Committee (PMC), to be known as the "Apache Gora Project",
Foundation; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the Apache Gora Project be and hereby is
related to object persistence, storage and retrieval; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache Gora" be
and hereby is created, the person holding such office to
serve at the direction of the Board of Directors as the chair
of the Apache Gora Project, and to have primary responsibility
for management of the projects within the scope of
responsibility of the Apache Gora Project; and be it further

Apache Gora Project:

       * Sertan Alkan <se...@...>
       * Andrzej Bialecki <ab...@...>
       * Ioannis Canellos <io...@...>
       * Dogacan Guney <do...@...>
       * Andrew Hart <ah...@...>
       * Chris Mattmann <ma...@...>
       * Lewis John McGibbney <le...@...>
       * Julien Nioche <jn...@...>
       * Henry Saputra <hs...@...>
       * Enis Soztutar <en...@...>
       * David Woollard <wo...@...>

RESOLVED, that the Apache Gora Project be and hereby
Incubator Gora sub-project; and be it further

Incubator Gora sub-project encumbered upon the
Apache Incubator Project are hereafter discharged.

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Enis/Henry/Lewis
be appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache Gora, to
serve in accordance with and subject to the direction of the
death, resignation, retirement, removal or disqualification,
or until a successor is appointed.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Chris

On Nov 20, 2011, at 9:01 AM, Lewis John Mcgibbney wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been monitoring the ongoing discussion (namely Luciano Resende's
> recent thread) regarding progression through the incubtor, and can't help
> but think about how Gora is moving as a project, where we want to move
> things and how much effort is required to get some activity going again.
> There is a small but important area of interest from Ferdy and myself on
> the Nutchgora front, however I'm quite concerned about the interest in the
> community and the subsequent barrier this is creating to attract more
> user/dev/commiters!
>
> Gora was discussed at general level at ApacheCon, with some reasonable
> interest from traditional database guys, some Cassandra committers were
> also interested so it is obviously a project which not only has real
> potential but also solves a justified problem.
>
> As Gora has been in the incubator since 26/10/2010 (along with some 44
> other projects) we have seen an unprecedented level of projects entering
> incubation, of which many are still there. So although there are underlying
> issues with the entire incubation model, I think it is extremely important
> for us to initiate discussion regarding our roadmap/strategy as we move
> forward. We have seen 2 releases during the incubation period which is
> excellent, but I am very interested to understand where we are going and
> which major issues need to be dealt with before 0.2 can be released or on a
> more important note where Gora needs to be to even consider graduation.
>
> Thanks for any comments which add to conversation here.
>
> --
> *Lewis*

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist
Office: 171-266B, Mailstop: 171-246
Email: chris.a.mattmann@nasa.gov
WWW:   http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/

Re: [DISCUSS] Gora graduation board resolution (was Re: Towards Graduation)

Posted by Ioannis Canellos <io...@gmail.com>.
Hi Chris,

If you feel that this scheme would be functional then that's awesome! I
trust your judgement!

On Wednesday, November 23, 2011, Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> I would love us to try one more release under incubator umbrella. We
> have new changes especially in the Cassandra client and the improved
> build system.
>
> - Henry
>
> On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 8:40 AM, Lewis John Mcgibbney
> <le...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Ioannis,
>>
>> I completely agree with the larger point that it would be nice to have a
>> larger community surrounding Gora, we recently extended an invitation to
>> Ferdy to become a committer as his work very much concerns the use of
Gora
>> and his contribution also shadow this.
>>
>> What do you think with regards to Chris' additional points... on a more
>> general note, what more does the incubator have to offer Gora other than
>> what Chris has highlighted?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 3:59 PM, Ioannis Canellos <io...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>>> Don't we need a couple more committers in order to graduate?
>>> Personally, I haven't been active on the project and my field of
activity
>>> was limited to maven stuff. So I can't count myself as an active
committer.
>>> So where does that leaves us? We have 3 or 4 active committers, which I
>>> think that is really close to the minimum for forming a TLP.
>>> wdyt?
>>> --
>>> *Ioannis Canellos*
>>> *
>>> FuseSource <http://fusesource.com>
>>>
>>> **
>>> Blog: http://iocanel.blogspot.com
>>> **
>>> Apache Karaf <http://karaf.apache.org/> Committer & PMC
>>> Apache Camel <http://camel.apache.org/> Committer
>>> Apache ServiceMix <http://servicemix.apache.org/>  Committer
>>> Apache Gora <http://incubator.apache.org/gora/> Committer
>>> Apache DirectMemory <http://incubator.apache.org/directmemory/>
Committer

--
*Ioannis Canellos*
*

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ioannis,

--
*Lewis*

Re: [DISCUSS] Gora graduation board resolution (was Re: Towards Graduation)

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hi Ioannis,

On Nov 22, 2011, at 7:59 AM, Ioannis Canellos wrote:

> Don't we need a couple more committers in order to graduate?
> Personally, I haven't been active on the project and my field of activity
> was limited to maven stuff. So I can't count myself as an active committer.

What's an active committer? At the ASF merit doesn't expire. So, the fact
that your commits have been limited primarily to Maven magic or that you
haven't been making a ton of commits lately doesn't
really mean that you aren't a committer or PMC member on the project.
Gora needs people that are good at Maven on its team too :-)

> So where does that leaves us? We have 3 or 4 active committers, which I
> think that is really close to the minimum for forming a TLP.

The recommended minimum PMC members is 3, and that isn't so that
strictly code gets developed per-se, it is so that there are enough people
to VOTE in new committers, and to push out releases. Of the 3, 1
can be a hard core coder, another can be a documenter guy, and
the other a tester/builder. That would work fine too, and I think we've
achieved that.

It might be worth checking out this thread over on Lucy-dev in the
Incubator:

http://markmail.org/message/e2fukowe3jy5o5ht

To see my views on this subject.

Given those views, we'd love to have you around as a Gora
PMC member -- are you interested in remaining?

Thanks!

Cheers,
Chris

Posted by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com>.
Having joined the Gora PMC a little later on in Gora's journey through the
Apache incubator, I have become actively aware of the effort put in by
individuals before I was on the scene. To this end, if no-one is willing to
volunteer to be VP I would take pride in accepting this role, however my
first choice would definitely be to see either Enis or Henry in the
position as both have convinced me that on top of being excellent mentors
throughout Gora's incubation period, they also know, understand, and
hopefully have their own ideas of where Gora should be moving as a top
level project within ASF.

With regards to the PMC, I would LIKE to remain actively involved.

Thanks for comments and thread Chris.

Best

Lewis

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
HI Chris,

Thanks for sending out up this discussion thread.
I had a lot of help from you and the others to help drive Gora moving
forward as incubator project =)

I really appreciate the confidence you have in me for the VP position,
but I will cast my Vote for Lewis or Enis instead.
I'd love to remain ACTIVE as PMC and contributing more in Gora but
more as individual contributor.
Definitely love to help with management duties such as being RM but
probably wont have time to execute role as VP for Gora.

As for graduation, I'd love to see us deliver one more release, which
is 0.2, to hopefully convince the IPMC that we are ready to graduate.

- Henry