Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Michael O'Cleirigh <mi...@rivulet.ca> on 2011/01/01 02:01:52 UTC

[Announce] Migration of wicketstuff from sourceforge to github is now complete

Hello,

I am pleased to announce that the migration of the wicketstuff project
from sourceforge to github is now complete.

Developers will again be able to commit their changes (pending
registration as a committer); Users will be able to report their issues
and new documentation can start to accumulate on the Wiki.

Thanks to all of the Wicket and Wicketstuff developers that have
contributed to this migration effort.

Overview:

Git Hub project page: https://github.com/wicketstuff

There are now two main projects:

1. core

These are the projects that were part of the wicketstuff-core project
grouping.  There are two branches:
A) 'master' which tracks wicket 1.5-SNAPSHOT
(https://github.com/wicketstuff/core)
B) 'core-1.4.x' which tracks wicket 1.4-SNAPSHOT
(https://github.com/wicketstuff/core/tree/core-1.4.x)

These two branches will be used by wicketstuff.org/hudson to generate
the snapshot artifacts soon.

2. sandbox

This is basically everything else from the trunk branch in subversion.
(https://github.com/wicketstuff/sandbox)

Commit Access:

Developers can fork the project in github or clone directly but in order
to push your commits into the central repository each developer will
need to be added into the committers team.  You can get added to this
team by sending an email to the wicket development mailing list with a
subject of  'Wicket Stuff Commit Access' and your github username.

Issues:

Issues on Core Projects can be recorded here:
https://github.com/wicketstuff/core/issues

Wiki:

I've created an initial page here:
https://github.com/wicketstuff/core/wiki/About-Wicket-Stuff

And we can start migrating the confluence content over.

Getting started with Git:

The main git documentation is here:
http://git-scm.com/documentation (If you have an hour the Linus Torvalds
video is fun)

We are using the same topology that we used with subversion.  There is a
central server (gitbhub) that has the repository and then each developer
has a local working copy where they make their changes.  The difference
is that in git each 'working copy' on the developers computer is a full
copy of the remote repository with all of the commit, branch and tag
history.

Developer Git:                               GitHub

Local Branch
(core-1.4.x)

       \ /
Remote Branch                    -->          Local Branch
(remotes/origin/core-1.4.x)                   (core-1.4.x)

 From your local repository you can 'pull' changes from the GitHub Local
Branch into your Remote Branch and then merge those changes into your
Local Branch.

If you are a committer then you can 'push' the changes (possibly several
commits) you have made on your Local Branch through to GitHub which will
update both your Remote Branch (a copy of the github local branch) and
the GitHub Local Branch.

Important:  Git has many tools for altering the commit history of a
branch.  While these are useful for local work they should not be used
on the github published branches themselves.

This is because if you change the commit history of a branch that has
been shared with others it will break all of those users the next time
they pull down new changes.

Useful tools:

In eclipse you can use the EGit plugin here :
http://www.eclipse.org/egit/download

But in general you will need to interact with the command line tools.
In windows you will get the git bash shell that will let you access all
of the core git commands including gitk for displaying the branch history.

Regards,

Mike

Re: [Announce] Migration of wicketstuff from sourceforge to github is now complete

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Jan 1, 2011 at 2:01 AM, Michael O'Cleirigh
<mi...@rivulet.ca> wrote:
> I am pleased to announce that the migration of the wicketstuff project from
> sourceforge to github is now complete.

I've added wicket-autocvs@lists.sourceforge.net to the email plugin
for github.com/wicketstuff/core, so with any luck we'll see commit
messages arrive at that list.

Martijn