Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Stephen <st...@rogers.com> on 2005/03/28 04:37:18 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache, Virtual Hosts, Linux hosts file

I have a Linux box (Mandrake 10.1) running Apache 2.0.

I am using it for testing of PHP-MySQL  scripts.

I have it working, but I had to map the virtual urls to the Linux box's
ip address in the Linux hosts file.

I am using a web browser on another machine on my network. If I do not
have the entries in the Linux box's hosts file, I get the default Apache
welcome page.

I am not using DNS, just entries in the hosts file on the machine I am
running the browser on.

Why do I need the entry in the Linux box's hosts file? I am considering
the possibility that I have a configuration problem. She not the entry
in the VHosts.conf file for the virtual hosts be sufficient?

I am not trying to use a browser on the Linux box!

Thanks in advance!

Re: [users@httpd] Apache, Virtual Hosts, Linux hosts file

Posted by Stephen <st...@rogers.com>.
Joshua Slive wrote:

>On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 21:37:18 -0500, Stephen <st...@rogers.com> wrote:
>

>>I have it working, but I had to map the virtual urls to the Linux box's
>>ip address in the Linux hosts file.
>>

>Have you followed all the advice given here:
>http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/dns-caveats.html
>?

Thank you!

I find it a big challenge to find the documentation that I need. Once I
am there, it is pretty easy.

Re: [users@httpd] Apache, Virtual Hosts, Linux hosts file

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.