Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Naveen Nandyala - Vendor <Na...@walmart.com> on 2018/02/12 00:41:34 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache Unable to reinitiate connection after application server's ip change.

Hello All,

                I'm using Apache as my Webserver and we have Tomcat and Websphere as our application servers.  We are making an IP change on application servers. On our application servers we don't specify any IP address in any of Tomcat or Websphere configuration. We only specify server name everywhere.

                We are only changing IP address but not the server name. After IP change on Websphere Our apache is not able to close old connections and open a new ones to new IP unless we restart Apache due to which we are seeing 503 erros in our access logs.

We don't see this issue on Tomcat as soon as the tomcat servers are rebooted with new IP address apache is able to connect to Tomcat servers without any restart. Could you please let me know if we need to change anything on apache to initiate new connections with new IP and close existing connections as soon as backend websphere  application server is stopped?

Warm Regards,
Naveen Kumar Reddy N
IBM Middleware WAS-MQ Tower Lead ( WalMart )
Toll Free Number - 866-912-0282(B),855-755-9356(H)
Mail: nknandy@wal-mart.com<ma...@wal-mart.com>
SLACK Channel:: middleware_l2
[cid:image001.jpg@01D26CB2.5110A6F0]
Middleware ServiceNow Service Catalog Task Policy:: https://collaboration.wal-mart.com/display/IPSMW/Service+Now+Service+Task+Catalog+Policy
Middleware ServiceNow Change Control Policy :: https://collaboration.wal-mart.com/display/IPSMW/Change+Control+Policy
Middleware Customer Page:: https://teams.wal-mart.com/sites/Middleware/Customers/Pages/default.aspx

Re: [users@httpd] Apache Unable to reinitiate connection after application server's ip change.

Posted by Yann Ylavic <yl...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 1:41 AM, Naveen Nandyala - Vendor
<Na...@walmart.com> wrote:

> We don’t see this issue on Tomcat as soon as the tomcat servers are rebooted
> with new IP address apache is able to connect to Tomcat servers without any
> restart. Could you please let me know if we need to change anything on
> apache to initiate new connections with new IP and close existing
> connections as soon as backend websphere  application server is stopped?

By default, the proxy module on Apache httpd reuses connections
(keep-alive), and resolves DNS _once_ at startup.
Connection reuse and DNS resolution go in pair, if you want the latter
for each connection, you have to disable the former by adding the
"disablereuse=on" parameter to the ProxyPass line.

Regards,
Yann.