Posted to droids-dev@incubator.apache.org by ant elder <an...@gmail.com> on 2013/05/30 07:28:48 UTC

Status

Hi Droids, I'm from the Incubator PMC and doing a review of the older
Incubator poddlings and why they're not graduating. I also happen to be
from the HttpComponents PMC which was the original sponsor of Droids.
Looking about here the only thing holding Droids back is that there not
many active participants. Would that be correct?

Droids has been here such a long time now and the Incubator is not adding
much value. There have been discussions on general@ about what to do with
small poddlings, eg: http://markmail.org/message/vd53bm3fouw7ueow, which
suggests including the mentors on the PMC when graduating to help make up
the numbers. Any comments on that approach?

Who are your mentors these days, and would having any new mentors help? If
so i'd be happy to sign up to see what can be done.

   ...ant

Re: Status

Posted by Richard Frovarp <rf...@apache.org>.
On 05/31/2013 09:36 AM, ant elder wrote:

> Becoming a TLP does sound preferable. A three person PMC is the absolute
> minimum but i don't recall ever seeing a podling graduate with that few.
> The problem is that as soon as one person goes away then the project is
> unable to get the three binding votes necessary to do releases so the
> project stalls. Even four seems a little small so if five or more people
> could be found its likely to make things easier. Smaller podlings often add
> their mentors to help make up the numbers, a problem here is that you two
> are the mentors so that doesn't help. To be honest i think your best bet
> could be to try recruit a couple more new mentors and then include them
> along with all the current listed committers in the graduation proposal.
>
> About the Droids name, the Incubator podling naming guide is here (if you
> didn't already know): http://incubator.apache.org/guides/names.html. If
> you'd like i can start going through that for you to see if it helps about
> the name?
>
>     ...ant

The committer list is 9 people long, but it's been a while since I've
seen some of them around. We might be able to swing a 5 person PMC,
which is more desirable than a 3 person PMC.

I knew about the naming guidelines, I just haven't had the chance to go
through it. If you have time to help out, that would be great. I just
don't have enough work or personal time at this point dedicate time to
that particular process.

Current list of people with committer access:
gsingers,javier,mingfai,olegk,ryan,thorsten,rfrovarp,bchapuis,tobr

Re: Status

Posted by Richard Frovarp <rf...@apache.org>.
On 06/01/2013 01:59 AM, vibhu bhutani wrote:
>   Hi Droids,
>
> Seems there is some problem with the number of active users. I have
> recently joined the team, i don't know how much useful could i be. But am
> willing to help.
>
> Regards,
> Vibhu

Welcome Vibhu,

We're open to help of all sorts. Feel free to help out where ever you
think there needs to be help.

How are you using Droids? How do you think you can help? Documentation
updates, code examples, blog posts, howto's, and code patches are all
welcome.

Richard

Re: Status

Posted by vibhu bhutani <vi...@gmail.com>.