Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Mike Sierra <ms...@mac.com> on 2004/10/11 21:10:32 UTC

side heads?

I'm trying to emulate an existing page layout with FOP, relying heavily
on O'Reilly's XSL-FO book for reference.  It's unclear from that book &
from fop's examples how I can do this, so instead I'll shamelessly rely
on your expertise.  ;-)

I have rather wide sidebar area (defined as a region-end) into which I
want to float selected blocks, such as callouts & small graphics. It
should flow roughly like this:

+-----------------------+
|                .      |
|                .      |
|        A       .      |
|                .      |
|.......................|
|                .      |
|                .      |
|        C       .  B   |
|                .      |
|                .      |
|.......................|
|                .      |
|                .      |
|        D       .      |
|                .      |
+-----------------------+

The 'float' tag appears to do what I want, but it's not implemented yet
(as of 0.20.5).  Is there another way to get this kind of output?
Extra credit -- assuming I can automate this marginal material, can the
area bleed into the region-body, like so?

+-----------------------+
|                .      |
|                .      |
|        A       .      |
|                .      |
|.......................|
|        .              |
|        .              |
|   C    .      B       |
|        .              |
|        .              |
|.......................|
|                .      |
|                .      |
|        D       .      |
|                .      |
+-----------------------+

Thanks in advance,

--Mike

Re: side heads?

Posted by Mike Sierra <ms...@mac.com>.
On Monday, October 11, 2004, at 05:00  PM, J.Pietschmann wrote:

> Mike Sierra wrote:
>> The 'float' tag appears to do what I want, but it's not implemented
>> yet (as of 0.20.5).  Is there another way to get this kind of output?
>
> Not if you want to have the side bar in a static content. A blind
> table in the body is the way to go (watch out for the usual memory
> problems).

I was afraid of that.  I hacked together a little postprocessor that
wraps all my content inside a large table that straddles the empty
side-head area, and that appears to work fine on a 50-page test file.
I can even bleed material into the main text area by interrupting the
main table with a shorter one that has customized column widths.  Ugly
implementation, but 'twill have to do until the <fo:float> tag is
supported.  Thanks for the info!

--Mike

Re: side heads?

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Mike Sierra wrote:
> The 'float' tag appears to do what I want, but it's not implemented yet
> (as of 0.20.5).  Is there another way to get this kind of output?

Not if you want to have the side bar in a static content. A blind
table in the body is the way to go (watch out for the usual memory
problems).

>  Extra
> credit -- assuming I can automate this marginal material, can the area
> bleed into the region-body, like so?

It depends. Regions may overlap, but content in one region can't
displace content in another region.

J.Pietschmann