Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Giovanni <pi...@yahoo.com> on 2010/04/18 10:17:49 UTC

Wicket and mobile browsers

I need to write a web application which will be accessed via mobile browsers from smartphones.

What are the smartphone browsers which work well with Wicket?

What kind of attention should I pay during the development of Wicket applications for mobile devices?

Is there any tutorial about developing Wicket applications for mobile target browsers?

Thanks in advance for any help.

giovanni

Re: Wicket and mobile browsers

Posted by Ngoc Dao <ng...@gmail.com>.
I think there browsers that do not support:
* cookie <- not a problem because servlet containers solve this problem
* JS <- Ajax does not work
* Complex CSS <- UI should be simple, mobile screens are not big anyway

Ngoc

Wicket wins in mobile site performance

Posted by "Joachim F. Kainz" <jf...@jolira.com>.
Fellow Wicket Users,

Just in case anybody here needs more help with arguing for Wicket in
their companies:

Not only is Walmart Mobile (http://mobile.walmart.com) using Wicket, but
it also helped the site to be ranked No. 1 in performance by Gomez:
(http://www.mobilemarketer.com/cms/news/research/6542.html)

Best regards,

Joachim
http://www.jolira.com

Re: Wicket and mobile browsers

Posted by Jeremy Thomerson <je...@wickettraining.com>.
On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 10:26 AM, Joachim F. Kainz <jf...@jolira.com> wrote:

> We have nothing to do with visural wicket

Oops - my bad.  Jolira / Visural - all the names jumble in my head after a
while.

--
Jeremy Thomerson
http://www.wickettraining.com

RE: Wicket and mobile browsers

Posted by "Joachim F. Kainz" <jf...@jolira.com>.
Martin,

Nokia has never been able to do JavaScript right. The other traditional
phone manufacturers have not done any better. Same is true for most
everything about their phone (e.g. their user-interfaces).

Most businesses I work with do not spend much time or money with this
type of phone. For instance, if you point it to mobile.walmart.com, you
get the most basic experience only. No JavaScript used in this one. Same
is true for m.wellsfargo.com. If you use Android or an iPhone, there is
plenty of Wicket JavaScript and the UI is significantly richer.

One of the reasons for this is that while there are still many of these
types of phones out there, their users do not use MWeb and have no
ability to use apps. No sense spending money there when the majority of
actual MWeb users have Web-Kit based browser that do Wicket Ajax
perfectly. :)

Best regards,

Joachim

Posted by Chris Colman <ch...@stepaheadsoftware.com>.

Posted by Chris Colman <ch...@stepaheadsoftware.com>.
Should a Motorola E51 be able to use a stock standard wicket site with a

Posted by Martin Funk <ma...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by "Joachim F. Kainz" <jf...@jolira.com>.
Martin,

Posted by Martin Funk <ma...@googlemail.com>.