Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> on 2018/11/26 14:41:24 UTC

why is CONTRIBUTING.md in .github folder?

Hi,

I'm climbing the learning curve using Eclipse with Git, and starting with
uimaFIT as a project.

One thing I see is that the latest change

https://github.com/apache/uima-uimafit/commit/a78760d158fee9cf7a460a3dce8306b1ba1f3c3c

to fix a typo in the CONTRIBUTING.md, doesn't show up in the Eclipse checkout, I
think because it's located under the .github folder (.github/CONTRIBUTING.md).

    This folder seems unknown to Eclipse, even when choosing to display ".*"
resources.

I searched for info on the purpose of the ".github/" folder, and it seems to be
for templates.

What is the reason the CONTRIBUTING.md was put there?
Besides switching to the Eclipse Navigator view, anyone know how to work with
files in .github in Eclipse?

-Marshall

Re: why is CONTRIBUTING.md in .github folder?

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Great, thanks!

I found this:
https://help.github.com/articles/setting-guidelines-for-repository-contributors/

which describes that these items appear in pull requests.

-Marshall

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
hmmm, must have been cross-eyed, this morning, or looking in the wrong place.

I see it now.

Probably the reason was is that I scanned the project for .github looking at all
the .xxxx underneath the uimafit-spring folder in the package-explorer view, and
didn't see .github.

(That's because it's a "folder", not a "file", and was sorting to the very
top...  :-D )

-Marshall

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.
Hi :)