Posted to dev@onami.apache.org by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com> on 2013/03/18 08:01:49 UTC

[VOTE] Apache Onami to become an ASF TLD

Hello,

in the previous discussions were no objections against the graduation
of Apache Onami. This is the community graduation vote for the Apache
Onami project, where we as a project demonstrate our willingness to
become a self govern top level project of the Apache Software
Foundation.

Please vote +1 if you feel Apache Onami is ready to become a top level project.

[ ] +1, we are ready to become a top level project
[ ] -1, please stay in the incubator, because...

The vote is open for 72h.

Best regards,
Christian

Re: [VOTE] Apache Onami to become an ASF TLD

Posted by Daniel Manzke <da...@googlemail.com>.
don't worry about it christian. you really do awesome work.

--
Viele Grüße/Best Regards

Daniel Manzke

Re: [VOTE] Apache Onami to become an ASF TLD

Posted by Jordan Zimmerman <jo...@jordanzimmerman.com>.
lol

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.

--
http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: [VOTE] Apache Onami to become an ASF TLD

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.

Posted by Daniel Manzke <da...@googlemail.com>.

--
Viele Grüße/Best Regards

Daniel Manzke

Re: [VOTE] Apache Onami to become an ASF TLD

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

--
http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: [VOTE] Apache Onami to become an ASF TLD

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
Hi Mate,

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
Hello Onami-Community,

--
http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: [VOTE] Apache Onami to become an ASF TLD

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 9:54 PM, Mohammad Nour El-Din
<no...@gmail.com> wrote:
>... I was encouraged by your change and changed a bit:...

Great, thanks!

-Bertrand

Re: [VOTE] Apache Onami to become an ASF TLD

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
Hi

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 2:12 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org
> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 2:02 PM, Christian Grobmeier
> <gr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > ...I followed this:
> > http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#tlp-community-vote
> > "It is wise to copy the incubator general list when the vote is
> proposed."...
>
> Ok - I have now changed that to "it is wise to notify the incubator
> general list that the community vote is starting - but do not Cc the
> vote to the general list as that creates confusion".

I was encouraged by your change and changed a bit:

It is wise to notify the incubator general
list<http://incubator.apache.org/guides/lists.html#general+at+incubator.apache.org>
that
the community vote is starting. Please do not Cc the vote to the general
list as that creates confusion, instead you can either:

   - FWD the [VOTE] e-mail to the general list, or
   - Send a different copy to the general list indicating that a graduation
   community [VOTE] is in progress

This way we also can have a kind of unified behavior (or at least hints)
about what to do when notifying the IPMC about such votes

> -Bertrand

Thanks
- Mohammad Nour
----
- Albert Einstein

Re: [VOTE] Apache Onami to become an ASF TLD

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
Hi

   I totally agree that it can be a source of confusion, but I used to
either FWD or send a different copy to general@ for notification and I
thought others do the same

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 5:01 PM, Craig L Russell
<cr...@oracle.com>wrote:

> On Mar 18, 2013, at 6:16 AM, Christian Grobmeier wrote:
>
>  On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 2:12 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz
>> <bd...@apache.org> wrote:

>>> Ok - I have now changed that to "it is wise to notify the incubator
>>> general list that the community vote is starting - but do not Cc the
>>> vote to the general list as that creates confusion".
>>>

>> Great, thanks! I was just starting to do the same, now I safe the time
>> and grab a cup of coffee instead.
>>

> I started to do the same. But I decided to read to the end of this thread
> to be sure what the issue was.
>
> As a note, there was recently a very similar discussion about whether to
> copy or forward podling votes for new committers.
>
> Regards,
>
> Craig
>
> P.S. I found nothing misleading about the original vote which states
> pretty clearly "This is the community graduation vote for the Apache Onami
> project".
>
> The only thing "confusing" is that you actually have to *read* the message
> to know that it's a community vote. [meow] ;-)
>

>> Cheers
>>
>>  -Bertrand

>> --
>> http://www.grobmeier.de
>> https://www.timeandbill.de

> Craig L Russell
> Architect, Oracle
> http://db.apache.org/jdo
> 408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@oracle.**com <Cr...@oracle.com>
> P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Thanks
- Mohammad Nour
----
- Albert Einstein

Re: [VOTE] Apache Onami to become an ASF TLD

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.

http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: [VOTE] Apache Onami to become an ASF TLD

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@gmail.com>.
I had always assumed that vote proposed meant "we're thinking about
graduating - what does the community think?" and not "we've decided to
graduate, let's vote to make sure."

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.

http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: [VOTE] Apache Onami to become an ASF TLD

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 11:56 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz
<bd...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 11:32 AM, Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org> wrote:
>> ...This is the community vote. It's a bit confusing that it's also cc:'d to
>> general@....
>
> ah sorry I missed that - CCing is not a good thing in this case, if
> someone wants to notify another list of an ongoing vote they should
> rather forward the original vote as an FYI, or just send a textual
> notification to avoid confusion.
>
> So, my bad, but not only ;-)

Oh yes,  makes sense.

http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: [VOTE] Apache Onami to become an ASF TLD

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
Hi

   AS you can read I used the word *should* and in the rules say
"...It is wise to copy the incubator general list when the vote is
proposed." So Christian did the *wise* thing :D

If you don't like that, and I see your point BTW, you can propose to change
that part *not* to copy the general@ when such vote(s) are proposed

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 11:47 AM, Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 18.03.2013 11:35, Mohammad Nour El-Din wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> >    Last time I checked the rules it state that, for such votes, the IPMC
> > should be *notified* through general@
>
>     This VOTE is not a requirement but is recommended. It is unlikely
>     that IPMC members will vote to approve graduation unless the Mentors
>     and community positively express their readiness for graduation. It
>     is wise to copy the incubator general list when the vote is proposed.
>

> I see no requirement to notify. And I still maintain it's confusing, as
> evidenced by this very case.
>
> It would make more sense if general@ were notified after the fact of the
> vote result, e.g., as an addendum to the graduation vote proposal.
> There's absolutely no call for the IPMC to poke our fingers into what
> are obviously optional, internal podling procedures. That's almost as
> bad as doing code reviews for them.
>
> -- Brane

Thanks
- Mohammad Nour
----
- Albert Einstein

Re: [VOTE] Apache Onami to become an ASF TLD

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
Hi

   Last time I checked the rules it state that, for such votes, the IPMC
should be *notified* through general@

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 11:32 AM, Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 18.03.2013 11:25, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 8:01 AM, Christian Grobmeier
> > <gr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> ...in the previous discussions were no objections against the graduation
> >> of Apache Onami...
> > Was there a community vote indicating a desire to graduate?
>
> This is the community vote. It's a bit confusing that it's also cc:'d to
> general@.
>
> -- Brane

Thanks
- Mohammad Nour
----
- Albert Einstein

Re: [VOTE] Apache Onami to become an ASF TLD

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.

http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: [VOTE] Apache Onami to become an ASF TLD

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,