Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Gary Aitken <op...@dreamchaser.org> on 2015/08/23 21:15:20 UTC

After Safe and restart, Editing Calc Chart loses data

Running aoo 4.1.1 on fbsd

If I create a chart in calc, as long as I do not exit calc I can edit the
chart.  In addition, if the values on which the chart is based change, the
chart changes.

However, if I save the spreadsheet and exit calc, then run calc again and
open the spreadsheet, things are screwed up.  When first reopened, the
chart looks fine.  However, modifying data values no longer cause the chart
to change, and when I double click on the chart to edit it all of the data
in the chart disappears, as well as the axis labels which are based on the
data.  This is an unrecoverable error -- there's no way to undo the double
click to get the data display in the chart back.

Is this a known behavior?
Is there something one can do to preserve the dynamic aspects of a chart?

Thanks,

Gary

Re: After Save and restart, Editing Calc Chart loses data

Posted by Gary Aitken <ah...@dreamchaser.org>.
On 08/25/15 20:48, Brian Barker wrote:
> At 07:56 25/08/2015 -0600, Gary Aitken wrote:
>> At 13:15 23/08/2015 -0600, Gary Aitken wrote:
>>> If I create a chart in calc, as long as I do not exit calc I can
>>> edit the chart. In addition, if the values on which the chart is
>>> based change, the chart changes. However, if I save the
>>> spreadsheet and exit calc, then run calc again and open the
>>> spreadsheet, things are screwed up. When first reopened, the
>>> chart looks fine. However, modifying data values no longer cause
>>> the chart to change, and when I double click on the chart to edit
>>> it all of the data in the chart disappears, as well as the axis
>>> labels which are based on the data. This is an unrecoverable
>>> error -- there's no way to undo the double click to get the data
>>> display in the chart back.
>>>
>>> Is this a known behavior? Is there something one can do to
>>> preserve the dynamic aspects of a chart?
>>
>> Anyone, please give me a sanity check on this one. File is in
>> http://www.dreamchaser.org/garya/downloads/ChartDataBug_3.ods Load
>> it and follow the instructions.
>
> The document file certainly has a problem, but it behaves differently
> on my 4.1.1 on Windows XP:

> o The chart displays correctly when the
> document is opened.

I see that behavior here.

> o I can select the chart so as to display the eight coloured handles
> - and can move it.

When I move it, the three data points disappear on button release.

> o But I cannot select it using double-click so as
> to be able to edit it.

Double click selects for editing here but data disappears.

> o Modifications to the chart data are indeed
> not reflected in the chart.

same.
I presume this is the case immediately after opening the file and before
attempting to select the chart?

> But (crucially):

> o I can create a new chart successfully in the same
> document, which behaves correctly - even when the document is saved
> and reopened.

I can create a new chart in the same document and it works fine, but
not after saving and restoring.

> o Did you create this from a blank document or perhaps from some
> earlier original (that may have had problems)?

It was created using the steps indicated in the file,
from an empty new document.
Typed in the two rows at the top, then did the steps listed below them.

> o Can you reproduce
> the problem in  a new document?

Very reliably.
That's how the sample was generated (see previous answer)

> o Is there a problem with your
> template?

Using the default empty spreadsheet when calc opens

> If you have set an alternative template, go to File |
> Templates > | Organise... . Click Commands; if you see Reset Default
> Template >, click it and select Spreadsheet. In a new document, does
> that make a difference?

There is no menu entry for Reset Default Template; I haven't changed it.

> I trust this helps.

I wish :-)

So, just for grins, can you create a similar document on xp and let me
see what happens here (fbsd)?

Do you know if saving an unmodified calc file should be identical to the
original?  Especially if saved on a *nix system when created on a windows
system?  It's a binary format so there's a chance they should be the same.
In which case I'd be curious to know if saving an xp generated file from
*nix and reloading exhibits the problem.  If so, that might finger a binary
write issue.

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 07:56 25/08/2015 -0600, Gary Aitken wrote:
>  At 13:15 23/08/2015 -0600, Gary Aitken wrote:
>>If I create a chart in calc, as long as I do not exit calc I can
>>edit the chart. In addition, if the values on which the chart is
>>based change, the chart changes. However, if I save the spreadsheet
>>and exit calc, then run calc again and open the spreadsheet, things
>>are screwed up. When first reopened, the chart looks fine. However,
>>modifying data values no longer cause the chart to change, and when
>>I double click on the chart to edit it all of the data in the chart
>>disappears, as well as the axis labels which are based on the data.
>>This is an unrecoverable error -- there's no way to undo the double
>>click to get the data display in the chart back.
>>
>>Is this a known behavior? Is there something one can do to preserve
>>the dynamic aspects of a chart?
>
>Anyone, please give me a sanity check on this one. File is in
>   http://www.dreamchaser.org/garya/downloads/ChartDataBug_3.ods
>Load it and follow the instructions.

The document file certainly has a problem, but it behaves differently
on my 4.1.1 on Windows XP:
o The chart displays correctly when the document is opened.
o I can select the chart so as to display the eight coloured handles
- and can move it.
o But I cannot select it using double-click so as to be able to edit it.
o Modifications to the chart data are indeed not reflected in the chart.

But (crucially):
o I can create a new chart successfully in the same document, which
behaves correctly - even when the document is saved and reopened.

o Did you create this from a blank document or perhaps from some
earlier original (that may have had problems)?
o Can you reproduce the problem in  a new document?
o Is there a problem with your template? If you have set an
alternative template, go to File | Templates > | Organise... . Click
Commands; if you see Reset Default Template >, click it and select
Spreadsheet. In a new document, does that make a difference?

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

Re: After Save and restart, Editing Calc Chart loses data

Posted by Gary Aitken <ah...@dreamchaser.org>.
On 08/25/15 11:05, Joe Conner wrote:
> With my Ubuntu64 I open the file, and if I choose the graph and
> attempt to reposition it the data disappears. This too is odd.

Thanks Joe.
My sys is fbsd amd 64 so that's two different ones.
I just filed a bug, 126490

Posted by Joe Conner <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Aitken <op...@dreamchaser.org>.
Hi Brian,