Posted to users@camel.apache.org by Knut-Håvard Aksnes <kh...@gmail.com> on 2014/03/12 19:38:06 UTC

Dependency mess with camel-restlet

I am using camel-restlet (2.12.3) in a war project and just discovered that
the dependencies doesn't look good. There are at least two problems.

1) With a webapp we need to add a dependency to org.restlet.ext.spring as
documented in camel-restlet. The problem being that the documentation
specifies the group id of org.restlet.jee which depends on
org.restlet.jee:org.restlet which is not the same as
org.restlet.jse:org.restlet which is a dependency for camel-restlet

2) According to the restlet documentation org.restlet.jee is the correct
edition to use for war's so an exclusion of org.restlet.jse:org.restlet
should be put on camel-restlet + an extra dependency to
org.restlet.jee:org.restlet

3) There are still mess in the spring dependencies: org.restlet.ext.spring
depend on spring-asm which has been merged into spring-core in recent spring
versions so a dependency exlusion is needed for
org.springframework:spring-asm. In addition
org.springframework:spring-expression should most likely be pinned to a
version compatible with the one used for the camel build (3.2.5.RELEASE)

I am still not sure if this will work as I don't in any way consider myself
an expert on restlets and haven't had time to test this at all yet.Maybe all
of this can be wrapped as a separate camel component (Or just a maven bom)

Re: Dependency mess with camel-restlet

Posted by Knut-Håvard Aksnes <kh...@gmail.com>.
Ad documentation. I will try to write something. But need to do quite a lot
of testing myself first, to be confident that the setup I describe will
work.
Ad restlet structure, it seems to be a mess. Personally I prefer CXF, but
some of my colleagues like restlets. Our system starts to get fairly large
now with over 50 maven subproject.

Re: Dependency mess with camel-restlet

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Ad 2)
I suggest to take your findings to the restlet community so they can
clean their mess with the spring deps.
Also maybe suggest them to make restlet work with servlet WITHOUT spring.

Ad 1)
Also at Apache we love contributions. So you are very welcome to help
with the documentation etc.
So these pages

http://camel.apache.org/contributing
http://camel.apache.org/how-do-i-edit-the-website.html

On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 8:47 AM, Knut-Håvard Aksnes <kh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have no problems  tweaking the dependencies myself, the main problems are:
> 1. Lack of documentation. The camel documentation doesn't cover this.
> 2. Lack of robustness. The entire dependency structure around the restless
> component seems to be somewhat fragile.

Claus Ibsen
-----------------
Red Hat, Inc.
Email: cibsen@redhat.com
Twitter: davsclaus
Blog: http://davsclaus.com

Re: Dependency mess with camel-restlet

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

As camel can be deployed into lots container and it can run as stand alone server, so we cannot change the dependency as you want.
With help of the dependency exclusion, you can resolve the issue in your pom.

--
Willem Jiang

Red Hat, Inc.
Web: http://www.redhat.com