Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org> on 2006/08/31 00:45:17 UTC

Incubator POM as parent for podlings

The Maven project maintains a POM that can be used as a parent by
other ASF projects
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/pom/trunk/asf/pom.xml

I think it would help if we had a similar thing for the incubator
that podlings can use - for example, defining the distribution repo
to be the incubator one.

I took a swag at modifying the one above for the incubator - see below.
--
Jeremy

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!--
* Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one
* or more contributor license agreements.  See the NOTICE file
* distributed with this work for additional information
* regarding copyright ownership.  The ASF licenses this file
* to you under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the
* "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance
* with the License.  You may obtain a copy of the License at
*
*   http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
*
* Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing,
* software distributed under the License is distributed on an
* "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY
* KIND, either express or implied.  See the License for the
* specific language governing permissions and limitations
* under the License.
-->

<!--
   Shared parent for Incubator projects and podlings.

   Version: $Rev$ $Date$
-->
<project xmlns="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0" xmlns:xsi="http://
www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
     <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>

     <groupId>org.apache.incubator</groupId>
     <artifactId>parent</artifactId>
     <version>1-SNAPSHOT</version>
     <packaging>pom</packaging>
     <name>The Apache Incubator</name>
     <description>
         The Incubator project is the entry path into The Apache
Software Foundation (ASF)
         for projects and codebases wishing to become part of the
Foundation's efforts.
         All code donations from external organisations and existing
external projects
         wishing to join Apache enter through the Incubator.
     </description>
     <licenses>
         <license>
             <name>The Apache Software License, Version 2.0</name>
             <url>http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.txt</url>
             <distribution>repo</distribution>
         </license>
     </licenses>
     <organization>
         <name>Apache Software Foundation</name>
         <url>http://www.apache.org/</url>
     </organization>
     <url>http://incubator.apache.org/</url>

     <repositories>
         <repository>
             <id>apache.snapshots</id>
             <name>Apache Snapshot Repository</name>
             <url>http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-
repository</url>
             <releases>
                 <enabled>false</enabled>
             </releases>
             <snapshots>
                 <enabled>true</enabled>
             </snapshots>
         </repository>
         <repository>
             <id>apache.incubator</id>
             <name>Apache Incubator Repository</name>
             <url>http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-incubating-
repository/</url>
             <releases>
                 <enabled>true</enabled>
             </releases>
             <snapshots>
                 <enabled>false</enabled>
             </snapshots>
         </repository>
     </repositories>

     <distributionManagement>
         <!-- Site omitted - each podling must provide their own -->
         <repository>
             <id>apache.incubator</id>
             <name>Apache Incubator Repository</name>
             <url>scp://people.apache.org/www/people.apache.org/repo/
m2-incubating-repository</url>
         </repository>
         <snapshotRepository>
             <id>apache.snapshots</id>
             <name>Apache Snapshot Repository</name>
             <url>scp://people.apache.org/www/people.apache.org/repo/
m2-snapshot-repository</url>
         </snapshotRepository>
     </distributionManagement>

     <mailingLists>
         <mailingList>
             <name>Apache Incubator Genera; List</name>
             <subscribe>general-subscribe@incubator.apache.org</
subscribe>
             <unsubscribe>general-unsubscribe@inucbator.apache.org</
unsubscribe>
             <post>general@incubator.apache.org</post>
             <archive>http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/
incubator-general/</archive>
         </mailingList>
     </mailingLists>
</project>

Re: Incubator POM as parent for podlings

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
Very nice.

Regards,
Alan

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
On Fri, Sep 01, 2006 at 10:03:49AM -0700, Jeremy Boynes wrote:
> Any other thoughts on this? Any objection to checking it in to
> incubator SVN?

I don't fully understand what its for, but no objections.

LSD

Re: Incubator POM as parent for podlings

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 4 Sep 06, at 1:40 PM 4 Sep 06, Jeremy Boynes wrote:

> Thanks Jason. I added this to svn in public/trunk/pom with a 1-
> SNAPSHOT version. As you say, small errors could be problematic so
> I would appreciate if it could be reviewed. If it's OK and after we
> vote is it just a matter of using the release plugin to tag/publish
> it?

Yup :-)

> Thanks
> --
> Jeremy
>
> On Sep 3, 2006, at 10:41 AM, Jason van Zyl wrote:
>
>> On 1 Sep 06, at 1:03 PM 1 Sep 06, Jeremy Boynes wrote:
>>
>>> Any other thoughts on this? Any objection to checking it in to
>>> incubator SVN?
>>
>> I think it's a good idea because a lot of the common information
>> can be collected, made consistent and that's a good thing.
>>
>> One policy that Maven follows is the vote on releases of these
>> POMs because small, inadvertent errors can have serious
>> repercussions. You just have to take some care and treat new
>> versions of the POM as you do any other release and do it
>> consistently in a reproducible way.
>>
>> So for our POMs for Maven and the one we keep for the ASF we have
>> the typical trunk/tags and try to do proper releases. So what's
>> released with a whole numbers like 1,2,3,...,N is what you try to
>> reference most of the time but in dire need you can reference a
>> SNAPSHOT which would be in trunk.
>>
>> Be glad to help setting this up. Thanks for creating this!
>>
>> Jason.

Jason van Zyl
jason@maven.org

Re: Incubator POM as parent for podlings

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
> [...]

>>                 <enabled>false</enabled>
>>             </snapshots>
>>         </repository>
>>     </repositories>
>>
>>     <distributionManagement>
>>         <!-- Site omitted - each podling must provide their own -->
>>         <repository>
>>             <id>apache.incubator</id>
>>             <name>Apache Incubator Repository</name>
>>             <url>scp://people.apache.org/www/people.apache.org/
>> repo/m2-incubating-repository</url>
>>         </repository>
>>         <snapshotRepository>
>>             <id>apache.snapshots</id>
>>             <name>Apache Snapshot Repository</name>
>>             <url>scp://people.apache.org/www/people.apache.org/
>> repo/m2-snapshot-repository</url>
>>         </snapshotRepository>
>>     </distributionManagement>
>>
>>     <mailingLists>
>>         <mailingList>
>>             <name>Apache Incubator Genera; List</name>

Jason van Zyl
jason@maven.org

Re: Incubator POM as parent for podlings

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
I like the idea,

just forwarded it to the podling, in case that some developers are not
subscribed on this list

-Matthias

Matthias Wessendorf

further stuff:
mail: mwessendorf-at-gmail-dot-com

Re: Incubator POM as parent for podlings

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.

Posted by Adam Winer <aw...@gmail.com>.
Works for me.

-- Adam

Fwd: Incubator POM as parent for podlings

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
What do you think?