Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2010/05/21 16:17:42 UTC

[compress] Use Nexus ? (was: Last issues before 1.1)

On 21/05/2010, Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > BTW, I have just been working through using Nexus in the BSF release
>  > (not yet complete, but nothing to do with Nexus) and it does seem to
>  > be much more convenient for handling Maven artifact voting /
>  > releasing.
>  >
>  > The big advantage is that the vote can take place on the actual
>  > artifacts that will be released, not a separately generated copy.
>  > Also, the uploaded files are held in a staging area which can be
>  > dropped and recreated if there are problems (whereas normal deploy
>  > goes straight to the repo forge).
>  >
>  > Would you be willing to try this? I can help if you run into problems.
>

> I can do it with Nexus, but I really don't have a big clue of it. Are
>  there any documents I can read which are explaining me more on this?
>  To be honest its the first time I heard of it (except some mentions on
>  some mailinglist)
>

>  > The suggested approach is to start with deploying directly from trunk,
>  > i.e. a SNAPSHOT version. This goes to a snapshot repo where the
>  > contents can be inspected. It cannot be released from there.
>

> OK, so I would create this snapshot locally and then upload it manually?

You just need to use Maven deploy from a workspace with a snapshot
version (e.g. trunk)

I think this should work without needing to change any POMs.

>  Where does it need to go, is it a webinterface?

This is where it ends up (for example):

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots/org/apache/bsf/

>  > When the tag has been built, the deploy process will upload to a
>  > staging repo instead, which can either be dropped or promoted if the
>  > vote succeeds.
>

> The tag is done by the tool itself?

Sorry, that was ambiguous.

The Maven deploy phase does not build the tag, it has to be built first.

I created the BSF tag as follows:

Fresh checkout of current code into new directory.
Update pom versions manually to remove the -SNAPSHOT markers.
Checkin as new tag. This keeps the existing history, and only uploads
the changed poms.
See for example:

Log:
Tag BSF 3.1RC2

Since the POM no longer has a snapshot version, deploy automatically
uses the "release" repo, which in Apache parent pom 7 is set to:

<id>apache.releases.https</id>
<name>Apache Release Distribution Repository</name>
<url>https://repository.apache.org/service/local/staging/deploy/maven2</url>

This is part of Nexus.

You should already be able to login to Nexus
(https://repository.apache.org/index.html) using your LDAP
username/password, but I suspect that you won't be able to upload yet.

Given that the Commons parent overrides some of the deploy repos, we
may need to tweak the command-line to get it all to work.

Once the non-snapshot is uploaded, when you login to Nexus and click
on Enterprise/Staging you will see the code entry. Click on the Name
field and the code will appear below. Click that and a listing will
appear at the bottom.

Check that all the files are there (currently you can only see file
names, not contents. This is a known bug.). If OK, right-click the
"open" status and select "Close" (or "Drop" if you need to try again).

Now you can right-click to download files (and drop any that should
not be there e.g. .asc.md5 - if you can be bothered).
Also at this point the "Repository Path" URL becomes active to others.
For example for BSF it is

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachebsf-001/

This is the URL you use in the VOTE thread.

If the vote passes, right-click on the "closed" status and select
"Promote" otherwise "Drop".

It's a bit more tricky to explain than it is to do.

I suggest we start with a snapshot upload and see how that goes.

Note: so long as the process does not reach the promote stage (which
means it has succeeded anyway) you can always go back to the old way.