Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Gary Aitken <op...@dreamchaser.org> on 2012/06/11 01:10:51 UTC

Changing categories for paragraph styles?

Hi all,

In the "Styles and Formatting" dialog, is there any way to change the categories in which a style appears?

For example, I would like to modify the "Addressee" paragraph style so it also appears under "Text Styles".

If I right click on it and select "Modify" and then select the "Organizer" tab, the "Category" item is greyed out so it cannot be changed.

BTW, the categories in which a style appears should probably not be a single-choice item; it should be possible for a style to appear in more than one category.

Also, what the heck does clicking the "Standard" button do?

Thanks for any pointers,

Gary

Re: Changing categories for paragraph styles?

Posted by Regina Henschel <rb...@t-online.de>.
Hi Gary,

Gary Aitken schrieb:
> Hi all,
>
> In the "Styles and Formatting" dialog, is there any way to change the
> categories in which a style appears?

No.

> For example, I would like to modify the "Addressee" paragraph style
> so it also appears under "Text Styles".
>
> If I right click on it and select "Modify" and then select the
> "Organizer" tab, the "Category" item is greyed out so it cannot be
> changed.

There is no way to change it, but work on the code directly.

> BTW, the categories in which a style appears should probably not be a
> single-choice item; it should be possible for a style to appear in
> more than one category.

You will likely only use a few of that styles. If you apply them to
dummy paragraphs in your document template, you can use the category
"Applied styles". For the most used styles it is easier not to use the
"Style and Formatting" dialog, but the drop-down list top-left. And for
altering an applied style the short way is via "Edit style" from the
context menu.

Others work around this "too many styles" by defining there own styles
in the document template and then use the category "Custom styles".

> Also, what the heck does clicking the "Standard" button do?

It removes the settings from that tab. Which settings a style really
contains is listed on the organizer tab. All other settings do you see,
are inherit from the parent styles. This parent styles are defined by
the "linked with" chain. You can see this chain in the hierarchical view.

Kind regards
Regina