Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Mark <ad...@asarian-host.net> on 2004/12/02 21:42:34 UTC

What is up with surbl.org?

How come surbl.org has a "Bad" status at rating.cloudmark.com? (see
below). This is not good.

- Mark

        System Administrator Asarian-host.org

---
"If you were supposed to understand it,
we wouldn't call it code." - FedEx

----------------------------
asarian-host: {root} % dig surbl.org.rating.cloudmark.com txt

; <<>> DiG 8.4 <<>> surbl.org.rating.cloudmark.com txt
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 5, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      surbl.org.rating.cloudmark.com, type = TXT, class = IN

;; ANSWER SECTION:
surbl.org.rating.cloudmark.com.  1M IN TXT  "Service Policy:
http://rating.cloudmark.com/sidtoc/"
surbl.org.rating.cloudmark.com.  1M IN TXT  "Rating: 62"
surbl.org.rating.cloudmark.com.  1M IN TXT  "Confidence: 11"
surbl.org.rating.cloudmark.com.  1M IN TXT  "Status: Bad"
surbl.org.rating.cloudmark.com.  1M IN TXT  "Cloudmark Rating Version: 1.0"

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
rating.cloudmark.com.   9m42s IN NS     dignity.cloudmark.com.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
dignity.cloudmark.com.  9m42s IN A      66.151.150.36

;; Total query time: 81 msec
;; FROM: asarian-host.net to SERVER: 127.0.0.1
;; WHEN: Thu Dec  2 21:21:32 2004
;; MSG SIZE  sent: 48  rcvd: 296

Re: What is up with surbl.org?

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
At 03:50 PM 12/2/2004, Theo Van Dinter wrote:
>*** BEGIN PGP VERIFIED MESSAGE ***
>On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 08:42:34PM +0000, Mark wrote:
> > How come surbl.org has a "Bad" status at rating.cloudmark.com? (see
> > below). This is not good.
>
>That's really a question for the Cloudmark people.  My guess is that
>domains that have mailing lists which talk about spam get a bad rating
>since people still incorrectly scan those lists through anti-spam
>software.

Another guess would be that rating is using data from razor reports. If
someone reports a SA tagged message to razor without stripping the tags,
the surbl.org domain is going to appear in the message body as a byproduct
of the rule descriptions.

Re: What is up with surbl.org?

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@kluge.net>.

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
"Meanwhile the US military officials are looking for their next target