Posted to pylucene-dev@lucene.apache.org by marco turchi <ma...@gmail.com> on 2017/01/03 15:01:54 UTC

Re: Installing PyLucene

Dear Andi,
following you suggestions, I have first installed pyLucene on a machine
with access to the Web and than I have copied the tree on the cluster
machine where I have installed pyLucene.

Running the make test I have the following errors:
ERROR: testThroughLayerException (__main__.PythonExceptionTestCase)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "test/test_PythonException.py", line 34, in testThroughLayerException
    qp.parse("foo bar")
JavaError: <super: <class 'JavaError'>, <JavaError object>>
    Java stacktrace:
java.lang.RuntimeException: TestException
at
org.apache.pylucene.queryparser.classic.PythonQueryParser.getFieldQuery_quoted(Native
Method)
at
org.apache.pylucene.queryparser.classic.PythonQueryParser.getFieldQuery(Unknown
Source
at
org.apache.lucene.queryparser.classic.QueryParser.MultiTerm(QueryParser.java:585)
at
org.apache.lucene.queryparser.classic.QueryParser.Query(QueryParser.java:198)
at
org.apache.lucene.queryparser.classic.QueryParser.TopLevelQuery(QueryParser.java:187)
at
org.apache.lucene.queryparser.classic.QueryParserBase.parse(QueryParserBase.java:111)

and:
NameError: global name 'WindowsError' is not defined
in
ERROR: test_FieldEnumeration (__main__.Test_PyLuceneWithFSStore)
ERROR: test_removeDocuments (__main__.Test_PyLuceneWithFSStore)
ERROR: test_searchDocuments (__main__.Test_PyLuceneWithFSStore)

I have checked on the mailing list but I have not found solutions that work
for me. I'm using:
python 2.7.12 (I have also tried python 3.5.2 but I have problems to
compile jcc)
java jdk1.8.0_60

do you have an idea of what it is not working?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help!
Marco

Re: Installing PyLucene

Posted by Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 3 Jan 2017, marco turchi wrote:

> Nope different linux kernels and python versions (2.7.11 and 2.7.12).
>
> Btw I have also similar problem on the machine with Web access.

I suspect you don't have shared mode enabled when running tests.
The WindowsError exception is a bug that no one hits until the tests fails
to remove its STORE_DIR tree. I need to remove this...
You can remove that try/except bracket since it doesn't apply to you anyway.

Usually, errors with test_PythonException.py have to do with missing shared
mode. If PyLucene is otherwise working for you, you can ignore this or make
sure shared mode is actually deployed with PyLucene.

Andi..

Re: Installing PyLucene

Posted by marco turchi <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: Installing PyLucene

Posted by Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>.

Re: Installing PyLucene

Posted by Thomas Koch <ko...@orbiteam.de>.
Dear Petrus,
thanks for your feedback - good to know that it’s useful for you application. And at least one more user who asks for Python3 Support in JCC ,-)

best regards,
Thomas
—

Re: Installing PyLucene

Posted by Thomas Koch <ko...@orbiteam.de>.

Re: Installing PyLucene

Posted by Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>.
> On Jan 5, 2017, at 08:57, marco turchi <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Done! all testes passed!

Excellent !

Re: Installing PyLucene

Posted by marco turchi <ma...@gmail.com>.
Done! all testes passed!

Re: Installing PyLucene

Posted by Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>.

Re: Installing PyLucene

Posted by marco turchi <ma...@gmail.com>.
Perfect!!!

Re: Installing PyLucene

Posted by Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>.

Re: Installing PyLucene

Posted by marco turchi <ma...@gmail.com>.
No I didn't.

Re: Installing PyLucene

Posted by Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>.

Re: Installing PyLucene

Posted by marco turchi <ma...@gmail.com>.
Dear Andi and Thomas,

Re: Installing PyLucene

Posted by Petrus Hyvönen <pe...@gmail.com>.
Dear Thomas,

Re: Installing PyLucene

Posted by Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>.
> On Jan 12, 2017, at 02:22, Thomas Koch <ko...@orbiteam.de> wrote:
>
> Dear Jan,
> thanks for your explanations.
>
>> PyLucene is driven by its own community, and user involvement and contributions is a must.
> I’m quite familiar with community contributions - have already submitted code and feedback, tested Pylucene releases, did provide support to other users and voted several times for new releases.
>

>> The (sub)project will survive only to the extent that its current users invest in it.
> so is this different to how the main (Java)Lucene project works? just curious …
>

>> For an ASF Open Source Project, the only thing that is required to get going is user/developer
>> involvement and teamwork. While Andi started the project due to needs at the time, and became
>> a committer, he is no longer an active user, so perhaps time has come for other users to step ut and take
>> responsibility.
>>
> That’s first time I hear this (bad) news. So if Andi is no longer an active user - who is the maintainer of PyLucene/JCC?

I am still the maintainer of this project. I am no longer using Lucene or PyLucene on a daily basis since 2011. I'm still happy to continue maintaining the project, though.

Andi..

Re: Installing PyLucene

Posted by Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>.
> On Jan 12, 2017, at 03:47, Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com> wrote:
>

>>> The (sub)project will survive only to the extent that its current users invest in it.
>> so is this different to how the main (Java)Lucene project works? just curious …
>
> This is the case for all ASF projects and sub projects. If a project is unable to produce
> new releases, usually due to too few developers, or loss of interest, or lack of users,
> the project will end up in the Attic. For a TLP it would be the Board intervening, while
> for sub projects I believe it is the TLPs responsibility to make sure things are healthy.
>
>>> For an ASF Open Source Project, the only thing that is required to get going is user/developer
>>> involvement and teamwork. While Andi started the project due to needs at the time, and became
>>> a committer, he is no longer an active user, so perhaps time has come for other users to step ut and take
>>> responsibility.
>>>
>> That’s first time I hear this (bad) news. So if Andi is no longer an active user - who is the maintainer of PyLucene/JCC?
>
> I may have misunderstood myself, but it is quite normal for a commiter’s availability to vary over the years,
> and for that reason it would be a big benefit for PyLucene to have at least two other active devs voted in
> as committers. As I understand it, PyLucene does not require much effort to keep up to date, except when
> there are major changes such as Py3 or porting tests etc.
>
> I’m not a user myself, so I’m a bit on the sideline here, being on the PMC.
>
>> We developed and provided the patch (which already took some time) for review and further adaption and really hope now for other users to step in. This is our current position for several reasons an after internal discussions which I cannot disclose here. Sorry. On the other hand, if we’d be the only user(s) interested/willing to push Python3 support (and Pylucene/JCC as a whole) then this project could not survive anyway I fear.
>
> Absolutely, you have done “your share” and more, and that is what such a project needs, and right
> now PyLucene needs more than one guy who can jump in and make Py3 happen.
> I guess what I was trying to get across is that if Andi will forever be the one guy everyone depend on
> to get the smallest contribution landed in the codebase, it will not be sustainable going forward, and
> probably not ideal for Andi nor the other users.
>
> So what would it take to bring one other developer up to a “pro" level, and are there anyone who have such a desire?

Just as on the Lucene project: repeated sizable contributions, an understanding on how projects function in the Apache community, a commitment to work within it and a successful committership vote.

If someone were to donate time to make the JCC 3 patch work with trunk and submitted that and showed interest in the project in general, over time, not just doing a one time code drop, they'd be well qualified to become a committer.

Andi..

Re: Installing PyLucene

Posted by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com>.
>> The (sub)project will survive only to the extent that its current users invest in it.
> so is this different to how the main (Java)Lucene project works? just curious …

This is the case for all ASF projects and sub projects. If a project is unable to produce
new releases, usually due to too few developers, or loss of interest, or lack of users,
the project will end up in the Attic. For a TLP it would be the Board intervening, while
for sub projects I believe it is the TLPs responsibility to make sure things are healthy.

>> For an ASF Open Source Project, the only thing that is required to get going is user/developer
>> involvement and teamwork. While Andi started the project due to needs at the time, and became
>> a committer, he is no longer an active user, so perhaps time has come for other users to step ut and take
>> responsibility.
>>
> That’s first time I hear this (bad) news. So if Andi is no longer an active user - who is the maintainer of PyLucene/JCC?

I may have misunderstood myself, but it is quite normal for a commiter’s availability to vary over the years,
and for that reason it would be a big benefit for PyLucene to have at least two other active devs voted in
as committers. As I understand it, PyLucene does not require much effort to keep up to date, except when
there are major changes such as Py3 or porting tests etc.

I’m not a user myself, so I’m a bit on the sideline here, being on the PMC.

> We developed and provided the patch (which already took some time) for review and further adaption and really hope now for other users to step in. This is our current position for several reasons an after internal discussions which I cannot disclose here. Sorry. On the other hand, if we’d be the only user(s) interested/willing to push Python3 support (and Pylucene/JCC as a whole) then this project could not survive anyway I fear.

Absolutely, you have done “your share” and more, and that is what such a project needs, and right
now PyLucene needs more than one guy who can jump in and make Py3 happen.
I guess what I was trying to get across is that if Andi will forever be the one guy everyone depend on
to get the smallest contribution landed in the codebase, it will not be sustainable going forward, and
probably not ideal for Andi nor the other users.

So what would it take to bring one other developer up to a “pro" level, and are there anyone who have such a desire?

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com

Re: Installing PyLucene

Posted by Thomas Koch <ko...@orbiteam.de>.
Dear Jan,

Re: Installing PyLucene

Posted by Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 6 Jan 2017, Andi Vajda wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Jan 2017, Jan HC8ydahl wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>>> I hope you didn?t get this wrong! We all appreciate the existence of
>>> JCC/PyLucene and especially all the effort you?ve put into this.
>>

>> PyLucene is driven by its own community, and user involvement and
>> contributions is a must.
>> The (sub)project will survive only to the extent that its current users
>> invest in it.
>>
>>> So if some funding is required to get this going ?
>>
>> For an ASF Open Source Project, the only thing that is required to get
>> going is user/developer
>> involvement and teamwork. While Andi started the project due to needs at
>> the time, and became
>> a committer, he is no longer an active user, so perhaps time has come for
>> other users to step ut and take
>> responsibility.
>>
>> How ?funding? would look like in the Python3 case is not so much sending
>> money to the ASF,
>> but more for individual companies like your own, to sponsor (through
>> developer time) the major
>> work on the patch, and driving it through to completion. Hopefully other
>> users will contribute along
>> the way too.
>>
>> You will of course need help from experienced developers, but the ideal
>> situation is that after
>> a couple of such patches that get committed, you (or the developer working
>> on the code) will be nominated
>> as committer and can continue developing PyLucene without the need for Andi
>> or any other one individual.
>>
>>> There has been some discussions about the future of PyLucene on this list
>>> but I still didn't see any conclusion/decision
>>

>> The discussion sparked some new development and a release, which is a
>> success. So the decission I guess is to keep PyLucene alive and try to
>> strengthen the community.
>> As long as the project continues to produce releases, it is (somewhat)
>> alive.
>> If on the other hand another year or two goes by without another release,
>> I?m sure the PMC will take action again.
>
> I intend to produce a PyLucene 6.4 release once Lucene 6.4 is done.
> It's been a few months now...

Lucene 6.4.0 was released on Monday. I did a quick test build of PyLucene
with that code and it required no changes at all. Given that a Lucene 6.4.1
bugfix release is around the corner, I'll wait until it is released to send
a PyLucene 6.4.1 release candidate for vote.

Andi..

Re: Installing PyLucene

Posted by Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>.

Re: Installing PyLucene

Posted by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com>.
Hi,

Re: Installing PyLucene

Posted by Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>.
> On Jan 12, 2017, at 02:37, Thomas Koch <ko...@orbiteam.de> wrote:
>
> Dear Andi,
>
> many thanks for your review of the patch and helpful comments.
>
> As mentioned in my previous mail to the list I’m afraid to let you know that we currently cannot put more effort into this task. This may change in the future of course.

That's ok. This is also how I feel.

> However, with „funding“ my idea was to look for open source funding such as provided by the Python Software Foundation (e.g.):
> https://www.python.org/psf/grants
>
> That’s probably worth a try - especially because the PSF is well known, has some sponsors and also receives donations by companies using Python and Python related projects on regular basis…

For me, it's not a problem of money but of time.
Whether I hire someone to do the work or do it myself, the same amount of time has to be spent dealing with the issue. Hiring someone and finding money takes time too. Probably more than integrating your patch, actually.

The way open source works is usually by donation of time, not money or code. This is why your code donation is going to sit there until someone spends the _time_ to integrate it.

>> Thank you for the work done so far, it's looking really good but it needs to
>> be refreshed to JCC/trunk and latest Python 3 to minimize work on my side.
>
> Ok. Maybe ASF could contact PSF and ask for such a grant that could be uses to
>>    hire back the contractor who did the JCC Python 3 port originally and have
>>    him/her refresh it for the latest JCC on trunk
> ? (If he/she is willing to do so … that’s another question).
>
> Just thinking about ways to get this forward. I’m afraid I cannot provide more support currently ,-(

Same here.

Andi..

Re: Installing PyLucene

Posted by Thomas Koch <ko...@orbiteam.de>.
Dear Andi,

Re: Installing PyLucene

Posted by Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>.
  Hi Thomas,

Re: Installing PyLucene

Posted by Thomas Koch <ko...@orbiteam.de>.
Dear Andi,

Re: Installing PyLucene

Posted by Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>.

Re: Installing PyLucene

Posted by Thomas Koch <ko...@orbiteam.de>.
> NameError: global name 'WindowsError' is not defined
> in
> ERROR: test_FieldEnumeration (__main__.Test_PyLuceneWithFSStore)

I've downloaded current version
    pylucene-6.2.0-src.tar.gz    2016-09-18 09:04   30M
and was able to build JCC and PyLucene on MacOS X10.11 (64-bit, Python 2.7.10 , Java 1.8.0)

'make test' runs without any issues.

From the stacktrace and the error:

Re: Installing PyLucene

Posted by marco turchi <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi
I have also run the following commands to check if I'm using the shared
option of jcc:

>>> from jcc import config
>>> config.SHARED
True