Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Berin Loritsch <bl...@infoplanning.com> on 2000/11/28 22:24:35 UTC

SVG/PNG does not serialize

Something happened since friday where the SVG/PDF streams
do not serialize to the user.

If I use the "svgxml" encoder, I Cocoon downloads it.  If
I use any encoder (PNG, PDF, JPEG) then I get this error
from Explorer "could not be found"

---------------------------------------
If you lust for Ham and Eggs, you have
committed breakfast in your heart
already.   -- C. S. Lewis

Re: SVG/PNG does not serialize

Posted by Paul Russell <pa...@luminas.co.uk>.
On Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 10:48:53AM +0000, Ross Burton wrote:
> Berin Loritsch wrote:
> >
> > Something happened since friday where the SVG/PDF streams
> > do not serialize to the user.
> >
> > If I use the "svgxml" encoder, I Cocoon downloads it.  If
> > I use any encoder (PNG, PDF, JPEG) then I get this error
> > from Explorer "could not be found"

Yeah, it's certainly serializing to JPEG fine...

P.

--
Paul Russell                               <pa...@luminas.co.uk>
Luminas Ltd.

Re: SVG/PNG does not serialize

Posted by Paul Russell <pa...@luminas.co.uk>.
On Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 04:56:06PM -0500, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 09:34:11AM -0500, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> > > Unfortunately I am not getting _*ANY*_ stack traces.  I am currently
> > > making changes to update to the newest avalonapi so that I can have
> > > hierarchical logging.
> I have made some headway.  I don't get the stack trace to the log files,
> but when I use telnet to hand write the request, I got a NullPointerException:
>
> java.lang.NullPointerException
>     at [SITEMAP_FILE].browserSelect(_sitemap_xmap.java(Compiled Code))
>     at [SITEMAP_FILE].process(_sitemap_xmap.java:1022)
>     at ....
>
> Guilty party included.

Ah. that's better, that line number matches up this time. Could
you turn off JIT in your JVM so we can get that first line number?
(should be java -Xint in Java1.3)

P.

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@infoplanning.com>.

Posted by Paul Russell <pa...@luminas.co.uk>.
On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 10:56:49AM -0500, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> But it still doesn't work with WebSphere.  Hmmm.  There's got
> to be something funky going on with WebSphere, but what?

Yeah. Still nothing appearing in the logs? Does websphere have
a debug interface?

> We need it to work with WebSphere, because our client wants
> WebSphere--even though it is bulky and slow.  (I am hoping
> that when we get the full version, we will be able to increase
> the speed due to using a real database).

Heh. Know the feeling.

P.

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@infoplanning.com>.
Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@infoplanning.com>.

Posted by Paul Russell <pa...@luminas.co.uk>.
On Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 05:00:39PM -0500, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> This is what I get as a response to the hand written HTTP command:
> GET http://localhost/svg HTTP 1.0
>

> --------- response -----------
>
> HTTP/1.1 500 ok

Uh. that's weird for a start. 500 is internal server error.
It should never have the text 'ok'.

> Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 21:57:26 GMT
> Server: IBM_HTTP_Server/1.3.12.1 Apache/1.3.12 (Win32)
> Connection: close

I suspect this is saying that the error message (which
appears to be empty) is in text/html, rather than the
content, so that doesn't help...

> This happens with every binary type (PDF, JPG, PNG).  No log message, no
> exception reported.  All text oriented responses work fine.

Have you tried any other servlets which produce non-text/html
output? This is deeply strange. What happens when you run in
tomcat? Do images work then?

Paul

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@infoplanning.com>.

Posted by Paul Russell <pa...@luminas.co.uk>.
On Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 09:34:11AM -0500, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> Unfortunately I am not getting _*ANY*_ stack traces.  I am currently
> making changes to update to the newest avalonapi so that I can have
> hierarchical logging.

Yeah. I'm going to start going through and adding a fair bit of
debug logging soon -- I need to be able to see what's going on
inside the component pools etc. Trouble is, my commit access isn't
live just get (slight lack of Karma issue :), so I'm waiting
for Brian to ride in on the proverbial white horse and sort that
out for me first.

Paul.

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@infoplanning.com>.
Posted by Paul Russell <pa...@luminas.co.uk>.

Posted by Ross Burton <ro...@mail.com>.

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@infoplanning.com>.
> On Tue, Nov 28, 2000 at 04:24:35PM -0500, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> > Something happened since friday where the SVG/PDF streams
> > do not serialize to the user.
> >
> > If I use the "svgxml" encoder, I Cocoon downloads it.  If
> > I use any encoder (PNG, PDF, JPEG) then I get this error
> > from Explorer "could not be found"
>
> Cocoon 1 or 2?

Cocoon 2 (Cocoon 1 doesn't have that feature ;P)

Re: SVG/PNG does not serialize

Posted by Paul Russell <pa...@luminas.co.uk>.