Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com> on 2007/03/09 04:48:55 UTC

Why do we keep growing new Confluence spaces?

Seems like we keep sprouting up new spaces in Confluence... I don't
think this is a very good idea.  I'd like to see some of these spaces
condensed, probably moving some of the content to GMOxSITE.

Why is there a GMOxSAMPLES space?  Seems like this just contains a
single-page per version with links to the GMOxDOC<version> space.
IMO this space should go away.

GMOxPMGT also strikes me as a space that should not exist... its
content should probably end up in GMOxSITE.

  * * *

Going forward, as we move closer to having multi-site stitching
implemented to get these exported pages served up from http://
geronimo.apache.org, its going to be more an more important not to
keep growing new spaces where they aren't really needed.

IMO, the *less* spaces we have the better... and right now I think we
have way too many.

Apache Geronimo (GMOxSITE)
Apache Geronimo Development (GMOxDEV)
Apache Geronimo Documentation (geronimo)
Apache Geronimo Knowledge Base (GMOxKB)
Apache Geronimo Project Management (GMOxPMGT)
Apache Geronimo Samples (GMOxSAMPLES)
Apache Geronimo SandBox (GMOxSBOX)
Apache Geronimo TCK (GMOxTCK)
Apache Geronimo v1.0 (GMOxDOC10)
Apache Geronimo v1.1 (GMOxDOC11)
Apache Geronimo v1.2 (GMOxDOC12)
Apache Geronimo v2.0 (GMOxDOC20)
Geronimo_MoinMoin_wiki (GMOxMoinMoin)

--jason

Re: Why do we keep growing new Confluence spaces?

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
On Mar 9, 2007, at 6:10 AM, Hernan Cunico wrote:
>> Seems like we keep sprouting up new spaces in Confluence... I
>> don't think this is a very good idea.  I'd like to see some of
>> these spaces condensed, probably moving some of the content to
>> GMOxSITE.
>> Why is there a GMOxSAMPLES space?  Seems like this just contains a
>> single-page per version with links to the GMOxDOC<version> space.
>> IMO this space should go away.
> GMOxSAMPLES it has been there for some time,

Ya, maybe... I just really noticed it though ;-)

> it's just now that I had some time to link the samples from there.
> My ultimate goal for this space is to physically move all the
> sample applications from all the other spaces here and then point
> to those samples from the from the version specific documentation
> spaces. Makes more sense to me to have all the Geronimo sample
> applications  consolidates in one space.

I don't think this is a great idea.  I would rather see the samples
in the GMOxDOC* spaces.  I don't see why they need to live in their
own space.

>> GMOxPMGT also strikes me as a space that should not exist... its
>> content should probably end up in GMOxSITE.
> Partially agree, the only thing I see as a disadvantage is that the
> updates would be limited to only committers. I would say that,
> historically, 50% of the updates to this space are made by non-
> committers. I would rather have this info up-to-date and deal
> myself with the synch form brutus to mino. Just my thoughts.

It looks like the bulk of the content in this space is not really
meant for non-commiters to update anyways.  Besides, I think we only
want *one* space which is for traditional wiki-style user driven
content.

>> Going forward, as we move closer to having multi-site stitching
>> implemented to get these exported pages served up from http://
>> geronimo.apache.org, its going to be more an more important not to
>> keep growing new spaces where they aren't really needed.
>> IMO, the *less* spaces we have the better... and right now I think
>> we have way too many.
>> Apache Geronimo (GMOxSITE)
>> Apache Geronimo Development (GMOxDEV)
>> Apache Geronimo Documentation (geronimo)
>> Apache Geronimo Knowledge Base (GMOxKB)
> We could move KB to the site. Updates to this space are not that often

No, this is one space that is a space because it really needs its own
namespace for pages.  The other spaces (GMOxSAMPLES and GMOxPMGT)
have limited content and don't really need a separate namespace at all.

>> Apache Geronimo Project Management (GMOxPMGT)
>> Apache Geronimo Samples (GMOxSAMPLES)
>> Apache Geronimo SandBox (GMOxSBOX)
>> Apache Geronimo TCK (GMOxTCK)
> This TCK space is private, we don't export it so I wouldn't really
> count it as one. ;-)

I was just listing all of the spaces we had... no intent to collapse
them all, just showing what we have currently.

>> Apache Geronimo v1.0 (GMOxDOC10)
>> Apache Geronimo v1.1 (GMOxDOC11)
>> Apache Geronimo v1.2 (GMOxDOC12)
>> Apache Geronimo v2.0 (GMOxDOC20)
> We will continue to grow spaces in this dimension.

Aye, and I think that is acceptable and expected.

>> Geronimo_MoinMoin_wiki (GMOxMoinMoin)
> I can nuke this space this space if nobody objects. For
> "sentimental purposes" we have a bkp from the old MoinMoin wiki
> here http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxSBOX/gmoxmoinmoin-backup.html

Yes, nuke this if you can... though I recall you had issues removing
it before?

Posted by Hernan Cunico <hc...@gmail.com>.
Jason Dillon wrote:
> Seems like we keep sprouting up new spaces in Confluence... I don't
> think this is a very good idea.  I'd like to see some of these spaces
> condensed, probably moving some of the content to GMOxSITE.
>
> Why is there a GMOxSAMPLES space?  Seems like this just contains a
> single-page per version with links to the GMOxDOC<version> space.  IMO
> this space should go away.
GMOxSAMPLES it has been there for some time, it's just now that I had some time to link the samples from there. My ultimate goal for this space is to physically move all the sample applications from all the other spaces here and then point to those samples from the from the version specific documentation spaces. Makes more sense to me to have all the Geronimo sample applications  consolidates in one space.

> GMOxPMGT also strikes me as a space that should not exist... its content
> should probably end up in GMOxSITE.
Partially agree, the only thing I see as a disadvantage is that the updates would be limited to only committers. I would say that, historically, 50% of the updates to this space are made by non-committers. I would rather have this info up-to-date and deal myself with the synch form brutus to mino. Just my thoughts.

>  * * *
>
> Going forward, as we move closer to having multi-site stitching
> implemented to get these exported pages served up from
> http://geronimo.apache.org, its going to be more an more important not
> to keep growing new spaces where they aren't really needed.
>
> IMO, the *less* spaces we have the better... and right now I think we
> have way too many.
>
> Apache Geronimo (GMOxSITE)
> Apache Geronimo Development (GMOxDEV)
> Apache Geronimo Documentation (geronimo)
> Apache Geronimo Knowledge Base (GMOxKB)
We could move KB to the site. Updates to this space are not that often

> Apache Geronimo Project Management (GMOxPMGT)
> Apache Geronimo Samples (GMOxSAMPLES)
> Apache Geronimo SandBox (GMOxSBOX)
> Apache Geronimo TCK (GMOxTCK)
This TCK space is private, we don't export it so I wouldn't really count it as one. ;-)

> Apache Geronimo v1.0 (GMOxDOC10)
> Apache Geronimo v1.1 (GMOxDOC11)
> Apache Geronimo v1.2 (GMOxDOC12)
> Apache Geronimo v2.0 (GMOxDOC20)
We will continue to grow spaces in this dimension.

> Geronimo_MoinMoin_wiki (GMOxMoinMoin)
I can nuke this space this space if nobody objects. For "sentimental purposes" we have a bkp from the old MoinMoin wiki here http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxSBOX/gmoxmoinmoin-backup.html

Cheers!
Hernan