Posted to dev@bigtop.apache.org by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org> on 2014/02/10 23:33:43 UTC

Re: Windows support?

[moving user@ to bcc, sending to dev@]

Sure thing - if there's somebody to fully support the platform.

I don't think there are resources nor ability in the community to do it. E.g.
last time I've touched a windows computer was about 10 years ago and hopefully
I won't touch it again in the next 20 ;)

Cos

Re: Windows support?

Posted by Andrew Pennebaker <ap...@42six.com>.
Cygwin might be a middle ground, where Zookeeper and friends can at least
run in a semi-Unix environment.

http://chocolatey.org/packages?q=cygwin

--
Cheers,

Andrew Pennebaker
apennebaker@42six.com

Re: Windows support?

Posted by Sean Mackrory <ma...@gmail.com>.
Like others, I would also support any effort to make the platform more
portable as long as it didn't detract from the existing OS support. Do keep
in mind, however, that Bigtop will struggle to support ZooKeeper (or any
other component) on Windows if there isn't matching support upstream. It's
possible my experience is unique or outdated, but I had a few team members
try to develop against ZooKeeper on Windows and eventually they gave up and
switched to Linux. From ZooKeeper's official documentation: "Win32 is
supported as a *development platform* only for both server and client."
Perhaps the support for Windows is better than I'm thinking, but my point
is just that you'll quite possibly need to work with ZooKeeper upstream as
well to make it a smooth experience.

Re: Windows support?

Posted by Andrew Pennebaker <ap...@42six.com>.

--
Cheers,

Andrew Pennebaker
apennebaker@42six.com

Re: Windows support?

Posted by Sean Mackrory <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: Windows support?

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Re: Windows support?

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Re: Windows support?

Posted by Peter Linnell <pl...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 10 Feb 2014 14:46:42 -0800
Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 2:40 PM, Andrew Pennebaker
> <ap...@42six.com> wrote:
> > I understand.
> >
> > Windows isn't my favorite platform, it just bugs me when I want to
> > use a neat tool, and the community for the tool doesn't prioritize
> > porting it to the particular platform I'm using that day.
>
> I don't think there's any kind of push back on getting this support
> in. The sentiment
> is more about the fact that we honestly don't have *anything* Windows
> related ATM. No infrastructure, not much expertise, no access to dev.
> environment.
>
> If, all of a sudden, our community had an influx of folks who could
> bring all of the above to us -- I'm sure they'd be welcome.
>
> Thanks,
> Roman.

Roman is right. We've no objection to supporting another platform, be
it MacOSX, a BSD or Windows. As a hard core linux guy, I've got
the beneficial experience of supporting other platforms, not in a
reluctant way, but as a way to bring my app to a much wider world.

While the Hortonworks folks deservedly get kudos for porting Hadoop to
Windows, you need to think about the entire stack we support and that
stack will grow. That is at the moment not trivial.

Just my 0.02,

Peter

Re: Windows support?

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
To highlight what Roman said, I think as individuals we have varying
opinions on particular platforms as any group will, but we would be very
grateful and receptive to any access to Windows dev and test environments,
and expertise for resolving platform specific problems. How should Bigtop
approach Windows as a distribution target? Would we bundle Windows
Installer scripts next to RPM spec files or Debian package build scripts?
Provide MSI convenience artifacts? Any open source or free tools for
mastering Windows packages? Should we package Hadoop daemons as Windows
services? How would that work if the component in question doesn't do so
natively? Etc...

--
Best regards,

   - Andy