Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Robert <rm...@bull-enterprises.com> on 2002/09/10 17:18:41 UTC

[OT] On the subject of opinions (from the JUnit thread)

Since I know you guys are strong and well motivated on good design (the
'passionate' discussions on this list can attest to that :-) ), I would
like you general opinion on, well your opinions.

What I would like to know is if you actually look at the source code
from an open source project (Jakarta or otherwise) and have that
influence your usage of that particular API/Package. If not, are there
any other criteria that you use to evaluate something, such as its
following, reputation, etc.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and you can feel free to
send them to me personally if you like: rmcintosh@bull-enterprises.com

Thanks a bunch gentlemen,
Robert

RE: [OT] On the subject of opinions (from the JUnit thread)

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 2002-09-10 at 21:06, Robert wrote:
> Thanks Leo. Very interesting. Without ever thinking about it, I've done
> pretty much what you describe below.

=) I hadn't thought about it before either...

> Perhaps I should rephrase my question a tad: Would you use an open
> source project/library if you DID look at the source and found it, well,
> lacking in design, coding conventions, etc. but it worked good and the
> general idea is a sound one?

generally, yes. I use the Sun JDK quite a lot, after all ;)

However, if there is big risk of the project dying meaning I would have
to start maintaining it, no. Of course, if (for example only!) logkit
would die, that's not that much of a problem for me as I can just switch
to log4j.

cheers,

Leo

RE: [OT] On the subject of opinions (from the JUnit thread)

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
> From: Robert [mailto:rmcintosh@bull-enterprises.com]
>
> Thanks Leo. Very interesting. Without ever thinking about it,
> I've done pretty much what you describe below.
>
> Perhaps I should rephrase my question a tad: Would you use an
> open source project/library if you DID look at the source and
> found it, well, lacking in design, coding conventions, etc.
> but it worked good and the general idea is a sound one?

We use JUnit don't we?  ;P

The bottom line is #1 does it work, and #2 is it something I would
otherwise have to maintain?

We dropped Avalon Testlet in favor of JUnit because they basically
did the same thing (very small differences), and JUnit already
had a very good following, was open source, and was open to
input from its users.

RE: [OT] On the subject of opinions (from the JUnit thread)

Posted by Robert <rm...@bull-enterprises.com>.
Thanks Leo. Very interesting. Without ever thinking about it, I've done
pretty much what you describe below.

Perhaps I should rephrase my question a tad: Would you use an open
source project/library if you DID look at the source and found it, well,
lacking in design, coding conventions, etc. but it worked good and the
general idea is a sound one?

Thanks again, Robert

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
Hi Robert,

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Wed, 11 Sep 2002 01:18, Robert wrote:
> What I would like to know is if you actually look at the source code
> from an open source project (Jakarta or otherwise) and have that
> influence your usage of that particular API/Package. If not, are there
> any other criteria that you use to evaluate something, such as its
> following, reputation, etc.

It really depends upon what you want to use it for. I generally try to work
out the cost vs benefit ratio factoring in risk. Some rules of thumb;

If I start to rely on something and it fails completely then I want to know
that I am capable of replacing or rewritting it. Replacement is easy if it is
a standards implementation (and multiple implementations exist). Rewritting
is an option for small clearly defined projects.

"Complete" solutions and "one size fits all" philosophies should be avoided
like the plague. I want to be able to mix n match toolkits and if this is
easy then it is likely the underlying toolkits are lightly coupled and
cohesive.

Think of web application frameworks. Some want to give you everything from the
presentation layer, through dispatch layer, through service and buisness
logic layers. Some focus one aspect. ie It is easy to use Sitemesh for
templating, struts for dispatching, Avalon for service layer, torque for
persistence and velocity for presentation. If I decide I prefer the icky jsps
I could easy swap velocity for jsp. If I decide I need to use OJB rather than
torque then that should also be an easy option. Some toolkits don't allow
this.

Projects with recent releases are better than those without unless I monitor
development lists ... and ... Projects with documentation are better than
those without unless I monitor development lists.

Also you will notice that opensource developers often follow a certain
behaviour pattern as they become more "mature" opensource developers. ie Many
start as idealistic GPL advocates who have a toolkit that will solve all your
problems (that only they can maintain). Later many of these same developers
move to more liberal licenses (ala LGPL, BSD, Apache) have smaller focused
toolkits and find it easy to move between different projects. I prefer to use
code by the more "mature" developers as has less road bumps, is more
consitent and stable.

The other thing I like to look at is reputation. I know certain groups/people
who I think are good developers and will give whatever they do a looking at.
For example, the developer of MX4J also maintains Foxtrot (a swing API for
alternative style thread management). I looked at it purely because I
respected the authors work on MX4J. If other people I respect also recomend X
then I will look at X (thats how I ended up using Sitemesh and how I will end
up using OJB).

The stability and longevity of the project is also a good indicator for a
project.

Code quality is a fine thing to look at but does not really come in as a
factor if I just want to use the project. I use quite a bit of crappy code
but I don't care because I never see it and never have to maintian it (try
looking through the JDK src one day). On the flipsode, sometimes really nice
code (think Craigs work on Tomcat4/Catalina) is not enough. When I looked at
TC4 code I really liked it but it was not as production worthy as TC3.x
stream so I didn't use it for a long time.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
 "Man's mind stretched to a new idea never goes back to its original
dimensions." -Oliver Wendell Holmes