Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Stuart White <st...@gmail.com> on 2009/03/11 17:42:37 UTC

Not a host:port pair when running balancer

I've been running hadoop-0.19.0 for several weeks successfully.

Today, for the first time, I tried to run the balancer, and I'm receiving:

java.lang.RuntimeException: Not a host:port pair: hvcwydev0601

In my hadoop-site.xml, I have this:

<property>
  <name>fs.default.name</name>
  <value>hdfs://hvcwydev0601/</value>
</property>

What do I need to change to get the balancer to work?  It seems I need
to add a port to fs.default.name.  If so, what port?  Can I just pick
any port?  If I specify a port, do I need to specify any other parms
accordingly?

I searched the forum, and found a few posts on this topic, but it
seems that the configuration parms have changed over time, so I'm not
sure what the current correct configuration is.

Also, if fs.default.name is supposed to have a port, I'll point out
that the docs don't say so:
http://hadoop.apache.org/core/docs/r0.19.1/cluster_setup.html

The example given for fs.default.name is "hdfs://hostname/".

Thanks!

Re: Not a host:port pair when running balancer

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
Konstantin Shvachko wrote:
> The port was not specified at all in the original configuration.

Since 0.18, the port is optional.  If no port is specified, then 8020 is
used.  8020 is the default port for namenodes.

Doug

Re: Not a host:port pair when running balancer

Posted by Konstantin Shvachko <sh...@yahoo-inc.com>.
This is not about the default port.
The port was not specified at all in the original configuration.

--Konstantin

Posted by Raghu Angadi <ra...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Doug Cutting wrote:
> Konstantin Shvachko wrote:
>> Clarifying: port # is missing in your configuration, should be
>> <property>
>>   <name>fs.default.name</name>
>>   <value>hdfs://hvcwydev0601:8020</value>
>> </property>
>>
>> where 8020 is your port number.
>
> That's the work-around, but it's a bug.  One should not need to specify
> the default port number (8020).  Please file an issue in Jira.

Yes, Balancer should use NameNode.getAddress(conf) to get NameNode addrees.

Raghu.

Re: Not a host:port pair when running balancer

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Konstantin Shvachko <sh...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Posted by Hairong Kuang <ha...@yahoo-inc.com>.