Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Argyn Kuketayev <Ar...@plateau.com> on 2002/06/03 18:58:33 UTC

RE: iPlanet 6.5 + Cocoon - is there still problem with serv;et co ntainer?

> Don't know exactly what problem you're talking about but

I mean this:
"iPlanet Web Server 4.x provides the servlet 2.2 API (javax.servlet.*
classes), but the servlet engine doesn't handle servlet contexts. This means
there is no classloader built with the contents of WEB-INF/classes and
WEB-INF/lib and that resolution of context resources (using
ServletContext.getResource()) doesn't give the expected results."

cited from http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/installing/index.html

> I have Cocoon 2.0.2 (with Saxon 6.5.2, jexen) running under iAS 6.5
> on w2k and Sol8. I don't remember running into any problems.

nice to hear it. many thanks.

unfortunately, C2 installation document doesn't say anything about iPlanet
6.5 :(
is the following statement still true?

"To be able to run on such non-compliant engines, Cocoon provides a
bootstrap servlet in org.apache.cocoon.BootstrapServletthat handles all the
servlet context related behaviours needed for proper functioning. " from the
above doc.

thanks,
Argyn

RE: iPlanet 6.5 + Cocoon - is there still problem with serv;et container?

Posted by Artur Bialecki <ar...@digitalfairway.com>.

I use the servlet container that is part of iAS not the one that
comes with iWS. I know in iAS 6.0 WEB-INF/lib was ignored so I don't
have anything in there, I add my libs to the iAS classpath (using registry).
Also, I don't explicitly call ServletContext.getResource() anywhere
in my code, cocoon does most of the resource finding for me, webserver
takes care of images and static docs (for now).

> > I have Cocoon 2.0.2 (with Saxon 6.5.2, jexen) running under iAS 6.5
> > on w2k and Sol8. I don't remember running into any problems.
>
> nice to hear it. many thanks.
>
> unfortunately, C2 installation document doesn't say anything about iPlanet
> 6.5 :(
> is the following statement still true?
>
> "To be able to run on such non-compliant engines, Cocoon provides a
> bootstrap servlet in org.apache.cocoon.BootstrapServletthat handles all the
> servlet context related behaviours needed for proper functioning. " from the
> above doc.

It very well may be. Again, other than putting all cocoon related libraties at
the beginning of the iAS classpath I didn't have to do anything special.
It's possible that cocoon detects this resource problem and uses the
BootstarServlet automagically.

Artur...