Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> on 2019/09/06 15:07:44 UTC

git switch (a new experimental command in version 2.23)

Hi, Some time ago, Richard and I worked up a spreadsheet on google docs that
listed for a bunch of typical "goals" how you dot these things in svn and in
git, together with some commentary.

I'm now moving this into a uima website developer's page (work-in-progress,
should be ready soon) for easier reference, and fixing it up a bit.  One thing I
noticed while doing this was the git-branch official doc has a reference to the
git command "git switch".

I tried looking for this - it wasn't in my git client.  Then I found it was
added in the most recent version of git, and blogged about here:
https://github.blog/2019-08-16-highlights-from-git-2-23/

where it says

Git 2.23 brings a new pair of experimental commands to the suite of existing
ones: |git switch| and |git restore|. These two are meant to eventually provide
a better interface for the well-known git checkout. The new commands intend to
each have a clear separation, neatly divvying up what the many responsibilities
of |git checkout|

|It's a bit curious that the git-branch doc doesn't refer to this as
"experimental"...|

|-Marshall|