Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Don Brown <do...@gmail.com> on 2005/09/09 23:52:13 UTC

[commons-build] Site build problem

It seems this maven problem affects all the commons projects that use the
commons-build. I'm seeing it on Linux and Windows, both running Maven 1.0.2.

Again, the problem is when running "maven site". When it gets to the jdepend
report, I see:

xdoc:jelly-transform:
[echo] Generating
/home/mrdon/dev/fileupload/target/docs/jdepend-report.htmlfrom
/home/mrdon/dev/fileupload/target/generated-xdocs/jdepend-
report.xml
Could not find the class: org.apache.commons.jelly.tags.fmt.FmtTagLibrary
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org.apache.commons.jelly.tags.fmt.FmtTagLibrary
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:187)
at org.apache.commons.jelly.JellyContext.getTagLibrary(JellyContext.java
:425)
Underlying exception: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: fmt
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: fmt
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:187)
at org.apache.commons.jelly.parser.XMLParser.createTag(XMLParser.java:1039)
Could not create taglib or URI: jelly:fmt tag name: message
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: fmt
at org.apache.commons.jelly.parser.XMLParser.createSAXException(
XMLParser.java:1234)
at org.apache.commons.jelly.parser.XMLParser.createTag(XMLParser.java:1044)
at org.apache.commons.jelly.parser.XMLParser.startElement(XMLParser.java
:647)
at org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.startElement(Unknown Source)
Underlying exception: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: fmt
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: fmt
at org.apache.commons.jelly.parser.XMLParser.createSAXException(
XMLParser.java:1234)
at org.apache.commons.jelly.parser.XMLParser.createTag(XMLParser.java:1044)
at org.apache.commons.jelly.parser.XMLParser.startElement(XMLParser.java
:647)
at org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.startElement(Unknown Source)

Is anyone else seeing this problem? I've tried removing ~/.maven but with no
luck.

Don

Re: [commons-build] Site build problem

Posted by Don Brown <do...@gmail.com>.
Well, synchronizing with your list didn't help, but upgrading to version
1.9.2 of the xdoc plugin did. I had just gotten over a case of Maven-phobia,
but I'm afraid I'm regressing :/

Thanks for the help, regardless :)

Don

Posted by Don Brown <do...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.

> This turned out to be a bug in the site.jsl. A patch has been applied
> to svn and this will be fixed in version 1.10 of the xdoc plugin.
> Here is an example site generated using the patched plugin and
> maven.xdoc.theme=classic
> maven.ui.banner.background=#fff
>
> http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/classic.html
>
> The nav entry "Commons Resources (Unofficial)" is too wide to fit (and
> maven.ui.navcol.width seems to no longer do anything); but otherwise
> this looks OK to me. Others may have different opinions; but if this
> looks good enough I would suggest that we tweak the menus, etc. to
> work with this setup and migrate away from using custom style sheets.
> We could get things working right away by just dropping the
> "type='header'" from the About Us menu.
>
> The big advantage of going this route is that we would then no longer
> need to maintain commons-site.jsl, nor to copy the stylesheets out to
> the distributions.
>
> Phil

Can you open an issue for the problem with "maven.ui.navcol.width" ?
We'll fix it (if possible) for the release 1.10

I think you removed the icons used to show "External Links" and "New
Windows". You should remove the legend.
maven.xdoc.legend=false

cheers,

Arnaud

Re: [commons-build] Site build problem

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
On 9/12/05, Niall Pemberton <ni...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> From: "Phil Steitz" <ph...@gmail.com>
>
> They do, but including the commons "about us" menu before the component's
> menu is in the commons-site.jsl
>
> commons-site.jsl has the following line:
>
> <jsl:applyTemplates select="$nav/body/menu[@type='header']"/>
>
> but site.jsl (from 1.9.2) has the following
>
> <x:if select="$nav">
> <jsl:applyTemplates select="$nav/body/menu[not(@type) | @type='header']
> | $nav/body/search"/>
> </x:if>

That is a mystery to me. The 1.9.2 version looks like it should work to me,
and it does if you remove the if test. Could be a bug in the site.jsl. Maybe
someone "jellier than me" can explain this.

As well as the menu, commons-site.jsl also links to the three stylesheets
> (tigris.css, maven.css and project.css) at
> jakarta.apache.org/commons/style <http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/style>
> ,
> if there are no local style sheets for the component - 21 out of 34
> commons
> components use this - the others that have links to their own local copies
> appear to be just copying them in from commons-build anyway - including
> commons Math (which also has copies of all three in SVN as well). Having
> just three copies of the stylesheets for [at the moment, most of] commons
> seems like a good idea to me.

That is a good point. The sample maven.xml.sample in commons-build does the
copy as part of the build, but you are correct that
commons-site.jslreferences them.

I'm not sure if you're talking about tossing commons-site.jsl just for
> commons-math or for the whole of commons. Assuming you mean the whole of
> commons then at a minimum the menu issue would need resolving and 21
> components would need their maven.xml updating to copy the stylesheets.

Many of them have the maven.xml snippet that does the copy now.

> Also
> I think you're both missing the point on "insulating" changes to the
> standard site.jsl. Just checking 1.8 and 1.9 work OK doesn't resolve the
> issue of what happens if the next version of the maven-xdoc-plugin
> site.jsl
> does something different. Potentially different components could have a
> different L&F depending on the plugin version used and having got rid of
> the
> mechanims to isolate commons from changes we don't want, we could find
> ourselves having to put it back in.

Another good point, though I would think it a not too unreasonable
expectation that the "classic" style would not change much from version to
version. IIRC, commons-site.jsl was created during the pre-1.0 release days
when the style sheets were changing a lot. I suggested using 1.8-1.9 as a
measure of how "stable" the classic L & F is.

The real issue IMO comes back to needing to ensure that we all use the same
> plugin version whatever the decision on which jsl file we use.

That is one way to solve the problem (at least part of it), but I don't see
a simple automated way to ensure this. It might not be a bad idea to
maintain a set of commons-wide plugin version dependencies and even add
these to commons-build.xml so that running the main site build would update
them all.

One of the problems with keeping the custom commons-site.jsl is maintaining
it as maven and the plugins change. I tried to update if for 1.9+ and ended
up breaking pre-1.9 builds. Having a iong mess of jsl to pore through each
time xdoc does a release is not a happy state. I am happy to do what I can
to try to keep things going and to get us through the current mess, but I am
by no means a jelly, jsl, or css expert and unless others with more
expertise are willing to take on maintaining this stuff, I think that we
need to rethink how the jsl, stylesheets and and menus work.

Phil

Niall

Re: [commons-build] Site build problem

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
From: "Phil Steitz" <ph...@gmail.com>
>On 9/11/05, Niall Pemberton <ni...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

</x:if>

>> I know that doesn't solve the fundamental problem in the plugin, but
>> > might be the best solution for commons.
>>
>> IMO we would still need have a dependency on a specific xdoc plugin
>> version - otherwise what different components' sites look like could vary
>> depending on what version plugin happened to be installed.
>
> This is the reason that commons-build was created in the first place.
>
> I will do as you suggest above, for the immediate term (create two
versions,
> with notes), this evening.
>
> FWIW, I now recall that the reason that main reason that most of us
decided
> to stop extending the commons-build POM was that it made distribution
> awkward.
>
> I will also have a look at how different things look bet 1.8, 1.9 with
> maven.xdoc.theme=classic. These should not be much different and, if so, I
> think I agree with Brett that the best solution would be to just toss
> commons-site.jsl together, replacing the funny out-links using css or
> something. IIRC, that was the only real complaint.

As I said above, I think Brett was wrong on this - it does include the
commons menu.

As well as the menu, commons-site.jsl also links to the three stylesheets
(tigris.css, maven.css and project.css) at jakarta.apache.org/commons/style,
if there are no local style sheets for the component - 21 out of 34 commons
components use this - the others that have links to their own local copies
appear to be just copying them in from commons-build anyway - including
commons Math (which also has copies of all three in SVN as well). Having
just three copies of the stylesheets for [at the moment, most of] commons
seems like a good idea to me.

I'm not sure if you're talking about tossing commons-site.jsl just for
commons-math or for the whole of commons. Assuming you mean the whole of
commons then at a minimum the menu issue would need resolving and 21
components would need their maven.xml updating to copy the stylesheets. Also

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.
I opened a new bug for this incompatibility issue.
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MPXDOC-167

Arnaud

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@blueyonder.co.uk>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
>We have Subversion now, and so svn:externals, which gives us an alternative
>to having to check out commons-build separately...

This still has 2 problems:
- you end up with X checkouts of commons-build where X is the number of
projects in commons you have checked out
- You also have to do a copy of this directory at release time (this is
probably preferable to now where you always get the current version,
even for an old tag), you can't rely on the versioning of the external.

I think this option I raised earlier got missed, so I'll repeat here:

The one option I'd consider is whether it is worth ditching
commons-site.jsl altogether. I have no idea what it adds:
setting maven.xdoc.theme=classic instead looks the same to me (except for the
addition of the the external link icons which can be removed through
CSS). If you'd like me to commit that for commons-math I can.

Does anyone know what it was meant to do, other than insulate against changes
in the Maven generated site?

I know that doesn't solve the fundamental problem in the plugin, but
might be the best solution for commons.

- Brett

Re: [commons-build] Site build problem

Posted by Martin Cooper <mf...@gmail.com>.

--
Martin Cooper

If they did - isn't the simplest solution to add a plugin dependency

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
On 9/11/05, Niall Pemberton <ni...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> From: "Brett Porter" <br...@apache.org>
> > Phil Steitz wrote:
> >
> > >Given the current setup above, unless I am missing something, all of
> the
> > >maven.xml's would have to be modified to check, I guess this is
> possible.
> > >

> > Fair enough - I thought all the projects extended
> > commons-build/project.xml (and hence used it's maven.xml).
>
> I did a quick scan and only "attributes" and "chain" extend the
> commons-build/project.xml - but maybe all commons components should?

That used to be the setup, and lots of people complained, since it meant
that even to just build/jar the components, you had to have commons-build
checked out, among other things. Of course, the web sites now depend on the
commons-site.jsl, style sheets and nav elements, so you effectively have to

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
From: "Brett Porter" <br...@apache.org>
> Phil Steitz wrote:
>
> >Given the current setup above, unless I am missing something, all of the
> >maven.xml's would have to be modified to check, I guess this is possible.
> >

> Fair enough - I thought all the projects extended
> commons-build/project.xml (and hence used it's maven.xml).

I did a quick scan and only "attributes" and "chain" extend the
commons-build/project.xml - but maybe all commons components should?

If they did - isn't the simplest solution to add a plugin dependency to

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Phil Steitz wrote:

>Given the current setup above, unless I am missing something, all of the
>maven.xml's would have to be modified to check, I guess this is possible.

Fair enough - I thought all the projects extended
commons-build/project.xml (and hence used it's maven.xml).

>Is there any way to get commons-site.jsl to check?

Unfortunately not - fmt is required to parse the file so it will still
die before that.

>Thanks for your help on this and any ideas that you have on how to improve
>the setup.

I've fiddled with a few things, but haven't had much luck:
- tried to revert to the non fmt: version from 1.8 but it seems there
are 2 incompatibilities in 1.9: the removal of build.date and the
requirement of <messages /> to be processed to handle the generated
content. It would have been good for i18n to be an option that was
enabled and the old stuff retained otherwise.
- tried to do the failing as above, and tried to select the old or new
jsl inside the jsl based on the plugin version, but neither worked

The one option I'd consider is whether it is worth ditching
commons-site.jsl altogether. I have no idea what it is meant to add:
setting maven.xdoc.theme=classic looks the same to me (except for the

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
On 9/11/05, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi Phil.
>
> Phil Steitz wrote:
>
> >There does not appear to be a reasonable way to make our customized
> >site.jslwork with both pre- and post-
> >1.9 versions of the maven xdoc plugin. The best solution is to upgrade to
> >1.9+ before generating commons sites. I also just fixed a problem in
> >commons-site.jsl that we preventing the date being displayed, so before
> >generating commons sites, you should svn up commons-build.
> >

> That's a shame - I would have thought at least one of those solutions
> would have worked.

The problem is that we have decoupled the site builds from commons-build -
the individual projects reference commons-site.jsl directly.

Probably the most effective thing to do in this case is to put a check
> into commons-build/maven.xml to make sure the latest plugin is being
> used. That could be used to select the JSL to use (current or previous),
> but it might be better to recommend a consistent version (especially if
> some start requiring the i18n or other features, for example).

Given the current setup above, unless I am missing something, all of the
maven.xml's would have to be modified to check, I guess this is possible.

Is there any way to get commons-site.jsl to check?

Thanks for your help on this and any ideas that you have on how to improve
the setup.

If you can see an any way to eliminate the dependency on the fmt library
from commons-site.jsl without breaking site generation or to sneak it in
somehow without breaking xdoc <1.9, that would also be great.

Phil

Re: [commons-build] Site build problem

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Hi Phil.

Phil Steitz wrote:

>There does not appear to be a reasonable way to make our customized
>site.jslwork with both pre- and post-
>1.9 versions of the maven xdoc plugin. The best solution is to upgrade to
>1.9+ before generating commons sites. I also just fixed a problem in
>commons-site.jsl that we preventing the date being displayed, so before
>generating commons sites, you should svn up commons-build.

That's a shame - I would have thought at least one of those solutions
would have worked.

Probably the most effective thing to do in this case is to put a check
into commons-build/maven.xml to make sure the latest plugin is being
used. That could be used to select the JSL to use (current or previous),
but it might be better to recommend a consistent version (especially if
some start requiring the i18n or other features, for example).

Here's an example:
http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/maven/maven-1/plugins/trunk/faq/plugin.jelly?rev=267498&view=markup

Cheers,
Brett

Re: [commons-build] Site build problem

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
Sorry guys, I made the jsl change, which was to make site builds work with
versions 1.9+ of the xdoc plugin. I thought I had tested successfully with
1.8, but now see that I must have failed to clear the plugin cache or
something. My bad. So...current state is that commons-site.jsl *requires* v.
1.9+ of the xdoc plugin. Use

maven plugin:download
  -DgroupId=maven
  -DartifactId=maven-xdoc-plugin
  -Dversion=1.9.2

to download 1.9.2

Unfortunately, without the change, the site build does not work correctly
with 1.9+, so my inclination is to leave the change in for now. I will roll
back the change, though, if others feel differently. i will also ask on the
maven list if there is some way to patch the site.jsl to work with both
versions.

Phil