Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Andreas Frei <fr...@inf.ethz.ch> on 2004/06/13 10:47:21 UTC

upload to ibiblio policy

I would like to know what's the policy of maintaining the ibiblio/maven
repository in case a new version of a project is not yet available in
ibiblio but on the projects main site?  Is everybody able to upload a
new version with the appropriate license, like the one already in the
repository or only the one who uploaded it at the first time?
If yes, isn't this a security problem, as everybody could upload
anything? If no, how do you handle the security issue?

I see in many ibiblio/maven hosted projects with older versions but I
would like to use the newest versions and have therefore to build up my
own repository and hope before my project gets released the dependencies
are updated on ibiblio otherwise I have to put my repository online
which is maybe again a problem due to copyrights.

Do you think a "repository of trust" where everybody could upload the
newest required version is viable?

regards,
Andreas

Re: upload to ibiblio policy

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@maven.org>.
On Sun, 2004-06-13 at 04:47, Andreas Frei wrote:
> I would like to know what's the policy of maintaining the ibiblio/maven
> repository in case a new version of a project is not yet available in
> ibiblio but on the projects main site?  Is everybody able to upload a
> new version with the appropriate license, like the one already in the
> repository or only the one who uploaded it at the first time?
> If yes, isn't this a security problem, as everybody could upload
> anything? If no, how do you handle the security issue?
>
> I see in many ibiblio/maven hosted projects with older versions but I
> would like to use the newest versions and have therefore to build up my
> own repository and hope before my project gets released the dependencies
> are updated on ibiblio otherwise I have to put my repository online
> which is maybe again a problem due to copyrights.
>
> Do you think a "repository of trust" where everybody could upload the
> newest required version is viable?

Many discussions have taken place, some even recently. Take a peek in
the archives.

> regards,
> Andreas

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

and sit softly on your shoulder ...

 -- Thoreau

Re: upload to ibiblio policy

Posted by "Jefferson K. French" <je...@frenches.org>.
If you have a new version of something you want uploaded to ibiblio,
just follow the instructions Jason put together here:

http://maven.apache.org/repository-upload.html

Or ask the people maintaining the project's main site to follow those
steps.

  Jeff

mailto:jeff@frenches.org

RE: upload to ibiblio policy

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ap...@carlos.cousas.net>.
Hi,

You have the same copyright problems setting up your repository as ibiblio
has, that shouldn't be a problem to create your own repository.

Carlos Sanchez
A Coruña, Spain

Oness Project
http://oness.sourceforge.net