Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Hohlen, John" <JH...@erac.com> on 2002/10/10 22:13:20 UTC

Struts 1.1B: Classpath entries in Manifest.mf file of struts.jar

Unlike Struts 1.0, Struts 1.1 is built upon various libraries from the
Jakarta Commons project.  As a result, these necessary libraries are listed
as classpath elements in the "manifest.mf" file of the "struts.jar" file.
More specifically:

Class-Path: commons-beanutils.jar commons-collections.jar
Class-Path: commons-dbcp.jar commons-digester.jar
Class-Path: commons-logging.jar commons-pool.jar
Class-Path: commons-services.jar commons-validator.jar
Class-Path: jakarta-oro.jar

My team is using WebLogic 6.1 SP 2.  If our "struts.jar" contains a
"manifest.mf" with the above classpath elements, then we have to include the
"struts.jar" file in the classpath used to boot WebLogic (even though the
"struts.jar" file is included in the "WEB-INF\lib" folder).  Otherwise, we
get the exception listed below.  Conversely, if we take the classpath
elements out of the "manifest.mf" file, then the "struts.jar" does not need
to be included in the WebLogic classpath, and the server boots fine.  Can
anyone explain this?  Thanks, JOHN

 Error loading servlet: 'action'
     [java] java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
org/apache/struts/action/ActionServlet
     [java]     at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass0(Native Method)
     [java]     at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:486)
     [java]     at
java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:111)
     [java]     at
weblogic.utils.classloaders.GenericClassLoader.findLocalClass(GenericClassLo
ader.java:339)
     [java]     at
weblogic.utils.classloaders.GenericClassLoader.findClass(GenericClassLoader.
java:156)
     [java]     at
weblogic.utils.classloaders.ChangeAwareClassLoader.findClass(ChangeAwareClas
sLoader.java:65)
     [java]     at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:297)
     [java]     at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:253)
     [java]     at
weblogic.utils.classloaders.ChangeAwareClassLoader.loadClass(ChangeAwareClas
sLoader.java:43)
     [java]     at
weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.prepareServlet(ServletStubImpl.jav
a:583)
     [java]     at
weblogic.servlet.internal.WebAppServletContext.preloadServlet(WebAppServletC
ontext.java:2221)
     [java]     at
weblogic.servlet.internal.WebAppServletContext.preloadServlets(WebAppServlet
Context.java:2165)
     [java]     at
weblogic.servlet.internal.HttpServer.preloadServlets(HttpServer.java:475)
     [java]     at
weblogic.servlet.internal.WebService.preloadServlets(WebService.java:450)
     [java]     at
weblogic.t3.srvr.ServletInitRunner.run(ServletInitRunner.java:49)
     [java]     at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)
     [java] javax.servlet.ServletException: Servlet class:
'com.abc.fleetsystems.strutsx.MyServlet' could not be resolved - a class
upon which this class depends wasn't found
     [java]     at
weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.prepareServlet(ServletStubImpl.jav
a:600

Re: Struts 1.1B: Classpath entries in Manifest.mf file of struts.jar

Posted by Antoni Reus <an...@wanadoo.es>.
Hi,

A Dijous 10 Octubre 2002 22:13, Hohlen, John va escriure:
> Unlike Struts 1.0, Struts 1.1 is built upon various libraries from the
> Jakarta Commons project.  As a result, these necessary libraries are listed
> as classpath elements in the "manifest.mf" file of the "struts.jar" file.
> More specifically:
>
> Class-Path: commons-beanutils.jar commons-collections.jar
> Class-Path: commons-dbcp.jar commons-digester.jar
> Class-Path: commons-logging.jar commons-pool.jar
> Class-Path: commons-services.jar commons-validator.jar
> Class-Path: jakarta-oro.jar
>
> My team is using WebLogic 6.1 SP 2.  If our "struts.jar" contains a
> "manifest.mf" with the above classpath elements, then we have to include
> the "struts.jar" file in the classpath used to boot WebLogic (even though
> the "struts.jar" file is included in the "WEB-INF\lib" folder).  Otherwise,
> we get the exception listed below.  Conversely, if we take the classpath
> elements out of the "manifest.mf" file, then the "struts.jar" does not need
> to be included in the WebLogic classpath, and the server boots fine.  Can
> anyone explain this?  Thanks, JOHN

I have deployed struts 1.1b2 apps to Weblogic 6.1sp3 without modifying server
classpath. May be its a weblogic sp2 issue.

Salut,

-- Antoni Reus