Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com> on 2015/04/08 12:16:25 UTC

finding free ports for tests

I'm writing some functional tests for the SPARK-1537 JIRA, Yarn timeline service integration, for which I need to allocate some free ports.

I don't want to hard code them in as that can lead to unreliable tests, especially on Jenkins.

Before I implement the logic myself -Is there a utility class/trait for finding ports for tests?

Re: finding free ports for tests

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.
On 8 Apr 2015, at 20:19, Hari Shreedharan <hs...@cloudera.com>> wrote:

One good way to guarantee your tests will work is to have your server bind to an ephemeral port and then query it to find the port it is running on. This ensures that race conditions don’t cause test failures.

yes, that's what I'm doing; the classic tactic. Find the tests fail if the laptop doesn't know its own name, but so do others

Thanks,
Hari

On Wed, Apr 8, 2015 at 3:24 AM, Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com>> wrote:

Utils.startServiceOnPort?