Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com> on 2019/06/18 16:34:23 UTC

Re: receiveNoWait() - not receiving messages

If receiveNoWait returns null it means the client didnt have a message
locally yet and the server didnt send the client a message when it
'drained' the link to provoke any possible delivery, so it has no
message to give you. I suggest running with the protocol trace enabled
to see if thats whats happening.

Posted by akabhishek1 <ma...@gmail.com>.
Thanks a lot for confirmation Robbie. I raised an issue with ServiceBus. I
will update you if i got any information from them.

Regards,
Abhishek Kumar

Re: receiveNoWait() - not receiving messages

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
I dont need to look at the new trace to know that the old trace shows
an issue which is not in the client. The consumer asked for one
message be sent or the credit discarded, and the server discarded the
credit without sending a message (at least three of which were just
sent to and accepted by it immediately prior, and which you indicate
are visible on your queue).

The "consumer.receiveNoWait()" and "consumer.receive(100)" do
different things under the cover (unless a message is already locally
available at the client when the call is made, something you are
deliberately preventing from happening by configuring zero prefetch)
so it isnt surprising things might behave differently against a
server. The former grants 1 credit in a draining flow in this case,
requesting it either gets a message if available or an indication none
are available (here its getting such an indication). The latter grants
a credit, leaves it outstanding as you provided a receive time period,
returns any message arriving within the timeout, or drains the credit
upon timeout (thus ensuring your requested zero-prefetch behaviour)
and either returns a message if it arrives or null if one does not.

The difference with the receive(100) is likely that the server sends
the message due to the credit being outstanding for a period, and not
due to any subsequent drain attempts, which may no longer even occur
if the message is sent sufficiently quickly. The new logs show they
mostly dont happen at all and only sometimes do, but I'd guess even in
those cases the arriving message was probably still put in-flight
before the draining flows were received.

Robbie

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
From the protocol trace I dont see anything suggesting that you are
missing something, it appears to be a bug in Service Bus. It doesnt
send the consumer a message, therefore the consumer cant give you one.

The trace shows a repeating pattern of 3 messages being sent
synchronously, the application logging it has sent a message, the
client issuing a 'draining' flow with 1 message credit for the
zero-prefetch consumer, and the server reacting by responding that it
has consumed the credit, without sending a message.

If there are messages available it would be expected it instead sent a
message using the credit, and not a 'response flow' indicating some or
all credit was consumed/drained without transferring messages (which
happens if there aren't enough messages to consume/drain it all by
sending them).

Robbie