Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Perry E. Metzger" <pe...@piermont.com> on 2004/04/16 16:38:04 UTC

realms...

I'm starting to play built in authentication in svnserve a bit.

1) Could someone explain to me what the realms string is actually for?
2) Am I correct that there is no protocol for users to change their
   passwords, and that administrative intervention is needed to do it?

Perry

Re: realms...

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Fri, 2004-04-16 at 12:24, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> Any hints on how to pick realm names?

Whatever the heck you want.  It's just a key to cache credentials on.
It all depends on whether a bunch of repositories are going to share the
same passwd-db or not;  the realm should uniquely describe the passwd-db
file, not the repository.

(Actually, I should clarify a wee bit:  the cache-key is actually a
combination of (1) the server's hostname, (2) the server's port, and (3)
the realmstring.)

Re: realms...

Posted by "Perry E. Metzger" <pe...@piermont.com>.

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@piermont.com

Re: realms...

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Fri, 2004-04-16 at 11:38, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> I'm starting to play built in authentication in svnserve a bit.
>
> 1) Could someone explain to me what the realms string is actually for?

It's for the client to have a "realm" to grab onto, for caching
purposes.  See the section in chapter 6 that explains client credential
caching.

> 2) Am I correct that there is no protocol for users to change their
>    passwords, and that administrative intervention is needed to do it?

Correct.