Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by Christian Bernard <cb...@nagora.com> on 2001/08/10 12:49:25 UTC

RE: Class Loading in SOAP/Tomcat

Hi All,

I've recently noticed some very interesting things about that problem. Here
are the facts :

0. Suppose Your Web Service application is deployed at
%TOMCAT_HOME%\webapps\myapp.

1. It's not necessary to add the statement set
CP=%CP%;%TOMCAT_HOME%\webapps\myapp\WEB-INF\classes to the tomcat.bat file
if you add the soap.jar, activation.jar and mail.jar to your
%TOMCAT_HOME%\webapps\myapp\WEB-INF\lib. If you do that, you will not get
the message "BadTargetObjectURI - Unable to resolve target object" for which
I reported to the SOAP list.
In this case, you should have a classpath which looks like this one :

Using CLASSPATH:
C:\Xerces_1.4.0\xerces.jar;..\classes;..\lib\ant.jar;..\lib\jasper.jar;..\li
b\jaxp.jar;..lib\parser.jar;..\lib\servlet.jar;..\lib\webserver.jar;C:\Jdk1.
3.0\lib\tools.jar

2. If you dont put these jars in your lib directory, it's mandatory to add
the statement set CP=%CP%;%TOMCAT_HOME%\webapps\myapp\WEB-INF\classes to the
tomcat.bat file. Otherwise, you will get the well-known message
"BadTargetObjectURI - Unable to resolve target object". This was my first
solution.

The first point is very interesting for the deployment phase, because it's
not necessary to modify the engine's classpath to deploy a new web service.
It makes it possible to have several web services in the same engine which
don't use the same SOAP implementation version, and to deploy them by
packaging war files. The only change to make to the original engine's
classpath is to add the xerces.jar in the front of the classpath as stated
in the Apache SOAP documentation.

I've made these tests with the Sun's JDK 1.3.0 and 1.2.2-006 on a Windows
2000 Professionnal workstation with the Apache Tomcat 3.2.2 engine and the
Apache SOAP 2.1 implementation.

Christian BERNARD
NAGORA Technologies

Posted by Christian Bernard <cb...@nagora.com>.
Yes, I have the same feeling like you about that situation.

The problem you had seems to have the same origin as the problem I met with
a web app, and other people too. I think that you have clearly exposed the
reason of that strange behavior.

I hope that this problem will be addressed for the newer versions, by
someone which has a good knowledge of this part of the Apache
implementation. For now, we have a better workaround than modifying the
engine's classpath.

Christian Bernard

Posted by Andreas Ullmann <An...@mathema.de>.

Posted by Andreas Ullmann <An...@mathema.de>.