Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by phocean <0x...@phocean.net> on 2011/03/29 14:40:24 UTC

[users@httpd] segfault with no dump

 Hi,

 I am stack with trying to debug segfaults happening almost every
 seconds.

 The problem is that the child process always dies without creating a
 dump file.

 Of course, I did configure this directive in httpd.conf (note that I am
 running Debian 6.0):
 CoreDumpDirectory /tmp/apache-dumps

 I ended up setting the following rights :
 $ ls -la /tmp/apache-dumps
 total 8,0K
 drwxrwxrwx 2 www-data www-data 4,0K 25 mars  01:27 ./
 drwxrwxrwt 9 root     root     4,0K 29 mars  14:26 ../

 Unfortunately the server is mutualized between several sites and each
 has a bunch of pages, so it is not possible to manually find the
 culprit.
 I am aware of modules like mod_backtrace and mod_whatkilledus, but this
 is a production server where I can't afford to compile and run these.
 At least not before having tried all other possibilities...

 So my questions are :
  - how is this possible that no dump is created? I am pretty sure
 something is wrong in my settings, but I am definitely missing it...
  - if ever it is not possible to get a dump, would you have any other
 suggestions on how to debug this ?

 Thanks in advance,

 Best regards,
--
 phocean

Re: [users@httpd] segfault with no dump

Posted by phocean <0x...@phocean.net>.
 On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 08:43:27 -0400, Eric Covener wrote:
>>  - how is this possible that no dump is created? I am pretty sure
>> something
>> is wrong in my settings, but I am definitely missing it...
>
> ulimit -c ?

 That was it ! Still a long way to go and learn...
 Thank you very much.

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.