Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by David Just <da...@visionsolutions.com> on 2009/08/25 23:09:03 UTC

Defining a menu for a users folder

Is it possible to define a menu that dynamically shows the folders that
a user has created such that the names of the folders show up in the
navigation without their parent folder.

Example:

User bob create a folder in his space called X1

..jetspeed/pages/_user/bob/X1

I want this to show up in the navigation menu as just X1  (or whatever
is defined as the title in the folder metadata).

When Janet logs in, she should not see bob's folders.

David Just l Software Engineer l Vision Solutions l +1 (507) 529-5939 l david.just@visionsolutions.com
The contents of this e-mail (and any attachments) are privileged and confidential. Unauthorized use is strictly prohibited.

Re: Defining a menu for a users folder

Posted by Randy Watler <wa...@wispertel.net>.
David,

Yes. In fact, I tried out your PSML hierarchy as best I could and the
menu I defined below worked fine without the special profiler rule.

All I can think of at this point is some issue with the PSML. If you
could jar/tar up your PSML tree I'd be glad to take a look at it, (send
them to me directly if you can). Something odd is indeed going on and
I'd like to get to the bottom of it, not to mention clear up the confusion!

One thing to note is that folders w/o pages in them are stripped from
the menus. This is because one cannot navigate to the folder since it
does not have a default page to land on. I know you have pages in your
PSML tree, but perhaps there is some issue with those pages and it is
having trouble loading them, (thus the folder appears empty). And no, I
dont know why it would work with the special profiler rule in this case.
Hopefully, we can get to bottom of it.

Thanks!

Randy

David Just wrote:
> That was one of the first things I tried before posting to the forumn.
> The root level folders would show, but folders that existed only in the
> user's folder "pages/_user/admin/x1/" x1 would not show up.
>
> Now I've created the no-fallback rule and added that rule to the list of
> rules for the admin user and <options regexp="true">/*/</options> works
> like I want. This is confusing because shouldn't the default rule for
> admin also show the admin's folder?  Is there a difference for the rule
> for admin vs a standard user?
>

> David Just l Software Engineer l Vision Solutions l +1 (507) 529-5939 l david.just@visionsolutions.com
> The contents of this e-mail (and any attachments) are privileged and confidential. Unauthorized use is strictly prohibited.

>>> X1

Posted by Randy Watler <wa...@wispertel.net>.
Dave,

Posted by Randy Watler <wa...@wispertel.net>.
David,

Posted by Randy Watler <wa...@wispertel.net>.
David,

Posted by David Sean Taylor <d....@onehippo.com>.
On Sep 2, 2009, at 10:15 AM, David Just wrote:

> If you could point me in the right direction on how I would go about
> defining and using said Profiling rule that would be a great help.

Profiling rules are defined either using the administrative portlet,
programmatically, or with the Jetspeeed seed data as a part of your
initial build. I prefer the seed approach, as I rarely change
profiling rules once configured. Take a look at the j2-seed.xml:

		<ProfilingRule id="user-role-fallback" standardRule="false">
			<description value="A role based fallback algorithm based on
Jetspeed-1 role-based fallback"/>
			<Criteria>
				<Criterion name="user">
					<type value="user"/>
					<fallBackOrder value="0"/>
					<fallBackType value="2"/>
				</Criterion>
				<Criterion name="navigation">
					<type value="navigation"/>
					<value value="/"/>
					<fallBackOrder value="1"/>
					<fallBackType value="2"/>
				</Criterion>
				<Criterion name="role">
					<type value="role"/>
					<fallBackOrder value="2"/>
					<fallBackType value="2"/>
				</Criterion>
				<Criterion name="page">
					<type value="path.session"/>
					<value value="default-page"/>
					<fallBackOrder value="3"/>
					<fallBackType value="1"/>
				</Criterion>
			</Criteria>
		</ProfilingRule>

I could describe how rules work here, but its already been explained
here:

http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2/devguide/guide-profiler.html

Rules are associated with users in the seed data:

         <User name="user">
             <credentials password="user" enabled="TRUE"
requiresUpdate="FALSE"/>
             <roles>user</roles>
             <groups>marketing</groups>
             <preferences/>
             <userinfo/>
             <Rules>
                 <Rule locator="menu" rule="role-group"/>
                 <Rule locator="page" rule="j2"/>
             </Rules>
         </User>

or you can default to the system wide default rule defined in the
profiler.xml (2nd parameter) Profiler component bean definition

RE: Defining a menu for a users folder

Posted by Randy Watler <wa...@wispertel.net>.
David,

Posted by Randy Watler <wa...@wispertel.net>.