Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Philip Andrews <pa...@Thunderhead.com> on 2013/07/25 16:48:59 UTC

Setting up networking similar to VirtualBox

Hello List,

I've managed to get Cloudstack Mgmt and Host services running on my laptop and deployed a VM. The only way I could do this was to put all the IP addressing on the same 10.x.x.x network that my laptop was connected to for the internet.

I'd like to setup the machine so the VM's are on an internal 192.168.x.x network for all their IP addressing and NAT'd to the internet through the 10.x.x.x IP address.

Is there a way to do this without changing any of the routing/switching infrastructure my laptop is connected to? I have found several tutorials about doing this with vlan's and IP tables but I was unable to get them working.

Any help with documentation or configuration ideas would be greatly appreciated. This is for a test environment not production (obviously?).

Thanks,
-Phil

Philip Andrews
Senior Linux Engineer

T +1 603-625-2280
F +1 603-641-2280
mailto:pandrews@Thunderhead.com

Thunderhead.com is the trading name of Thunderhead Limited which is registered in England under No. 4303041 whose registered office is at Catalyst House 720 Centennial Court, Centennial Park, Elstree, Herts. WD6 3SY.
The contents of this e-mail are intended for the named addressee only. It contains confidential information. Unless you are the named addressee or an authorized designee, you may not copy or use it, or disclose it to anyone else. If you received it in error please notify us immediately and then destroy it.

Re: Setting up networking similar to VirtualBox

Posted by Ahmad Emneina <ae...@gmail.com>.
you'll probably need to have a couple interfaces (or bridges) say for
example Outside and Inside (where the guests will live). You'll need to
setup ip forwarding so that your traffic on inside gets routed out via
Outside. I've dont this a long while back but have since forgotten the
gritty details. You can google masquerading or ip forwarding... This
article rings a vague bell:
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/IP-Masquerade-HOWTO/firewall-examples.html#RC.FIREWALL-IPTABLES.
You might also want to ping the dev list, to see if there are any
useful
tips from the folks there.