Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Sathya <sa...@gmail.com> on 2014/02/04 12:11:26 UTC

Solr Searching Issue

Hi Friends,

I am working in Solr 4.6.0 from last 2 months. i have indexed the data in
solr. Indexing size is 8.3GB which is increasing day by day. While im
searching in this index using java programming with multiple instance( more
than 15 instance), the solr is not responding to the search query. Its
getting too slow. Its taking more than 8 hours to search the 7lac data. I am
Using Ubuntu machine with 24GB ram and 1TB HD. Kindly tell me the solution
to solve this issue.

Re: Solr Searching Issue

Posted by Toke Eskildsen <te...@statsbiblioteket.dk>.
On Wed, 2014-02-05 at 08:17 +0100, Sathya wrote:
>  I am running single instance solr and the JVM heap space is minimum 6.3gb
> and maximum 24.31gb. Nothing is running to complete the 24gb except tomcat
> server. I have only 2 copyField entries only.

Your Xmx is the same size as your RAM. It should never be that high.

When your Solr server is hammered, it will gradually expand the heap.
Once expanded, it never contracts. Each time the heap expands, you get
less RAM for disk caching and more GC overhead.

Solr benefits little from extra memory: You are normally better off by
leaving a large amount of memory for disk cache. Ideally, experiment
with Xmx until you find the minimum amount required to run, then
increase it by 50% or so (for unexpected scenarios).

At the very least, set Xmx to 16GB, so that the system is guaranteed to
have memory enough to cache most of the index.

Guessing wildly: Even 6.3GB sounds high for such a small corpus. Have
you tried with just 2GB?

- Toke Eskildsen, State and University Library, Denmark

Re: Solr Searching Issue

Posted by Sathya <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Shawn,

 I am running single instance solr and the JVM heap space is minimum 6.3gb
and maximum 24.31gb. Nothing is running to complete the 24gb except tomcat
server. I have only 2 copyField entries only.

Re: Solr Searching Issue

Posted by Shawn Heisey <so...@elyograg.org>.

Re: Solr Searching Issue

Re: Solr Searching Issue

Posted by Daniel Collins <da...@gmail.com>.
You also said you have multiple instances (> 15) but are they all reading
the same 8Gb data (in which case it must be static or you'd get locking
problems) or is it partitioned/sharded somehow?  I'd have the same
questions as the others, query rates, how are your queries distributed over
the instances, etc?

With the 15 instances, is that 15 cores in 1 JVM or 15 JVMs?  The latter
would presumably be eating 24Gb of RAM quite easily (even 2GB heap per JVM
would be 30Gb of RAM), but the former would need a large heap (and 64-bit
JVM) to be of any use I would expect.

Re: Solr Searching Issue

Posted by Jack Krupansky <ja...@basetechnology.com>.

Re: Solr Searching Issue

Posted by Furkan KAMACI <fu...@gmail.com>.
Hi;

Which JVM parameters do you use?

Thanks;
Furkan KAMACI

Re: Solr Searching Issue

Posted by Sathya <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Furkan,

Re: Solr Searching Issue

Posted by Furkan KAMACI <fu...@gmail.com>.
Hi;

Your index size is not much for a 24 GB machine. There should be any other
problem for it. What is your document size and query rate per second? On
the other hand how do you start up your Solr instance (which parameters do