Posted to user@struts.apache.org by a....@verizon.net on 2003/05/07 19:34:05 UTC

Error running struts-blank.war on J2EE1.4

When running the deployed web-app, I see the following
error on the server:

javax.servlet.ServletException: Cannot find message resources under key org.apache.struts.action.MESSAGE
	at org.apache.jasper.runtime.PageContextImpl.handlePageException(PageContextImpl.java:561)
	at org.apache.jsp.Welcome_jsp._jspService(Welcome_jsp.java:87)
	at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:136)

That probably comes while executing the code in Welcome.jsp:

<logic:notPresent name="org.apache.struts.action.MESSAGE" scope="application">
    ERROR:  Application resources not loaded -- check servlet container
    logs for error messages.
</logic:notPresent>

which is compiled into:

  public void _jspService(HttpServletRequest request, HttpServletResponse response)
        throws java.io.IOException, ServletException {

    try {
      if (_jspx_meth_html_html_0(pageContext))
        return;
    } catch (Throwable t) {
      if (!(t instanceof javax.servlet.jsp.SkipPageException)){
        out = _jspx_out;
        if (out != null && out.getBufferSize() != 0)
          out.clearBuffer();
        if (pageContext != null) pageContext.handlePageException(t);
      }
    } finally {
      if (_jspxFactory != null) _jspxFactory.releasePageContext(pageContext);
    }
  }

Why is the exception thrown on the server?

I thought that it's supposed to return the content
of the element <logic:notPresent>.

Does it have to do with the type of the exception, i.e.
SkipPageException vs. ServletException?

Is there anything I can do about it?

Has anyone successfully used struts on J2EE1.4?

There is also a struts.jar file in the J2EE1.4 distribution,
but it appears to be Struts 1.0.  I am using Struts1.1-RC1.
Can they coexist?  Is this the issue?

Thanks for any help.

Andreas

Re: Error running struts-blank.war on J2EE1.4 (again)

Posted by Andreas Kemkes <a....@verizon.net>.
Rob:

Thanks for the pointers.  Unfortunately none of the suggestions that I had
found applied.

It wasn't the parser or some resource bundle settings, but a conflict
between
version 1.0 and 1.1 of Struts.  Apparently, J2EE1.4 uses Struts 1.0
internally and has the struts.jar file in the lib/system directory.
After replacing it with the appropriate jar files from Struts 1.1,
J2EE1.4 seems
to do just fine and the war apps struts-blank and struts-example run just
as expected.  Well, almost.  There is a little glitch in deleting the file
database.xml.old, but that's a different story.

I still would like to know, whether there is a way to let Struts 1.1
coexist
with the internal Struts 1.0, but that is probably better asked in a
J2EE1.4
forum.

Thanks,

Andreas