Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2012/08/03 01:29:20 UTC

Re: Using Jmeter simulate users based on trace file or following some distribution function

On 31 July 2012 21:08, lichen970 <li...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, friends,
> I am just new to Jmeter. We want to generate requests either from a trace
> files, or based on some distributions/patterns.Things I am considering but
> not sure is, to write scripts to invoke Jmeter in non-gui mode and aggregate
> the results. But I do not think this approach is efficient.

Why would it not be efficient?

> Actually, we use Jmeter not for testing, but for simulation. We need the
> traffic to feed our server to testing some kind of energy optimization
> policy. Specifically, we need to (1). simulate a group of users, but each of
> them has a different request frequency; (2) the total requests in the
> system-scope should follow certain pattern, say normal distribution( or,
> follow a trace file). The two may not necessarily be achieved in same test
> run.
>
> Any ideas or suggestions?

You don't say what the trace files contain, nor what server type you
are testing.
JMeter supports lots of different protocols.

Re: Using Jmeter simulate users based on trace file or following some distribution function

Posted by Deepak Goel <de...@gmail.com>.
Hey

You can use web log analyzing products like Webanalyzer, Webmetrics
for analyzing traffic and then feed in Jmeter

:)
Deepak

On 8/3/12, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 31 July 2012 21:08, lichen970 <li...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi, friends,
>> I am just new to Jmeter. We want to generate requests either from a trace
>> files, or based on some distributions/patterns.Things I am considering
>> but
>> not sure is, to write scripts to invoke Jmeter in non-gui mode and
>> aggregate
>> the results. But I do not think this approach is efficient.
>
> Why would it not be efficient?
>
>> Actually, we use Jmeter not for testing, but for simulation. We need the
>> traffic to feed our server to testing some kind of energy optimization
>> policy. Specifically, we need to (1). simulate a group of users, but each
>> of
>> them has a different request frequency; (2) the total requests in the
>> system-scope should follow certain pattern, say normal distribution( or,
>> follow a trace file). The two may not necessarily be achieved in same
>> test
>> run.
>>
>> Any ideas or suggestions?
>
> You don't say what the trace files contain, nor what server type you
> are testing.
> JMeter supports lots of different protocols.

Namaskara~Nalama~Guten Tag~Bonjour

   --
Keigu

Deepak