Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by ed...@gmail.com on 2005/03/25 02:59:09 UTC

late response to servlet api question ? thread

Hi, sorry about the late response to this, but the tomcat list is
refusing emails from my regular address because I am sending from a
dynamic IP address (I am using sendmail on a local machine to send
mail, rather than my ISPs smtp server, heh).
/
Hi,
19Mar2005 @ 05:41 brian thusly spake
> What are the advantages or the reason for the popularity of
> servlet api vis-a-vis the web server specific api ?
>
> Say Netscape server or IIS server also have their own
> specific api's as well where one could write server side
> code. But the servlet api is so popular and wide spread and
> one could argue that java sdk is free but then companies buy
> the third party j2ee servers like websphere or weblogic.

Don't quite understand what your question is -- I'll give it a go.
servlet api is a de facto standard put out by SUN,
the original specs, with which a container such as tomcat, webspere
(IBM), or weblogic (BEA), comply.

Netscape Server (iplanet), IIS or Apache are web servers, that is they
do not *do* servlets and JSPs.
+Apache can be made to serve them up using loadable modules.
Web servers are different beasts to Servlet containers.
Why companies buy a custom, tailored or otherwise proprietary product
is usually because of
+*out_of_the_box* (turn-key) solutions, available(payed for) support.
With an open source product there is quite a bit of learning, tuning,
configuration etc. that you need to
+do.
This can be challenging to company employees who are *used to* lock-in
solutions, and absolutely
+terrifying to unsavvy management, the idea of *no* support and open
(not completely controlled) code,
+can be very challenging.

Personally, I think the *Sun* solution is great.

hth,
kind regards,
Luke