Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org> on 2005/05/18 12:20:34 UTC

Re: Apache mail problem

Ferdinand Soethe wrote:

> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
>
> > @all I think apache mail suffers from a worm called "sober". The next
> > attack is expected to happen in 10 days (around 26/27 May). It is once
> > again a windows only thing. More information (in German) can be found
> > http://www.spiegel.de/netzwelt/technologie/0,1518,356236,00.html.
>
> If Thorsten is correct about this (is he?), it is about time to start thinking
> about solutions.

That is correct. Apache handles huge volumes of email
and consequently huge volumes of this crap.

The ASF is a volunteer organisation. If you want to help
then join the infrastructure mailing list (ASF committers only).

There is plenty that we can do to help, even if only to answer
the many questions that people ask and turn that into the
FAQ documentation at www.apache.org/dev/

Doing those mundane tasks will enable the ASF volunteers
who do know about mail systems to get on with the job.

Of course, they have have already been "thinking" about
solutions and implementing. Otherwise we would still
be in the grips of that mail storm. They dealt with it on IRC.

> Don't know about you (except for Nicola Ken who only
> reads mail once a day :-) but I'm not too happy about these delays and
> the perspective for this to happen a couple of times each month.

These delays over the last two days were wreaking havoc
on the opensource mailing lists. Answers to questions
were delayed, so more questions. The best thing to do
was to stop using email and get on with some local work
or go watch television, definitely not try to carry on
an email discussion :-)

I reckon that it is best not to commit to svn during such
a storm. Our trunk got broken twice yesterday, and people
could not immediately fix it.

--David

Re: Apache mail problem

Posted by Ferdinand Soethe <sa...@soethe.net>.
David Crossley wrote:

> Doing those mundane tasks will enable the ASF volunteers
> who do know about mail systems to get on with the job.

> Of course, they have have already been "thinking" about
> solutions and implementing. Otherwise we would still
> be in the grips of that mail storm. They dealt with it on IRC.

Thanks for that info. I didn't realize there were special volunteers
taking care of that. As it is they probably know much better what to
do ...

--
Ferdinand Soethe