Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Struts Newsgroup (@Basebeans.com)" <st...@basebeans.com> on 2002/03/29 04:10:01 UTC

Preservation of forms

Subject: Preservation of forms
From: "Scott Danzig" <da...@avaya.com>
 ===
I'm wondering if forms are preserved in the session attributes.  Here's the
layout I have:

LogonAction bean:
Create a SecondForm bean
Set various properties in the bean, prepopulating it
Set it as the value of the session attribute: "secondForm"
Specifies to load second.jsp

second.jsp
Shows all the prepopulated values just fine.
Has an html:image button which leads to second.jsp

Now should I be able to keep pressing this button, reloading the same form,
with the values in the form being preserved?  One of the properties I try
setting in the form is two array lists used for an html:select statement.
When I click the button, it complains about one of the array lists being
null, as shown in the error below.  In the SecondAction bean, if I take the
form it gives me and set these array list properties to new array lists
before returning to reload second.jsp, it stops complaining.  Why should I
have to reload it?  I made sure reset() wasn't touching it.
Here's that error... There's more to this I'll write afterwards:

Error: 500
Location: /MYPROJECT/second.jsp
Internal Servlet Error:

javax.servlet.ServletException: Property listValues returned a null value
 at
l.java:459)
 at
_0002flocation_0002ejsplocation_jsp_17._jspService(_0002flocation_0002ejsplo
cation_jsp_17.java:1122)
 at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:119)
 at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet$JspCountedServlet.service(JspServlet.ja
va:130)
 at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet$JspServletWrapper.service(JspServlet.ja
va:282)
 at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:429)
 at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:500)
 at org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.doService(ServletWrapper.java:405)
 at org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.service(ServletWrapper.java:372)
 at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.internalService(ContextManager.java:81
2)
 at org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(ContextManager.java:758)
 at
onnectionHandler.java:213)
 at
 at
org.apache.tomcat.util.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:501)
 at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)

Root cause:
javax.servlet.jsp.JspException: Property listValues returned a null value
 at
org.apache.struts.taglib.html.OptionsTag.getIterator(OptionsTag.java:392)
 at org.apache.struts.taglib.html.OptionsTag.doEndTag(OptionsTag.java:284)
 at
_0002flocation_0002ejsplocation_jsp_17._jspService(_0002flocation_0002ejsplo
cation_jsp_17.java:419)
[...]

Furthermore, if I have a third.jsp and have second.jsp go to that, and
third.jsp go back to second.jsp, even refilling the form with the arraylists
in SecondAction and ThirdAction doesn't work.  It keeps saying they're null.
What am I missing that would allow the desired functionality?  Thanks in
advance, and let me know if you need me to post more info.

- Scott

ExceptionInInitializerError in JDeveloper

Posted by Otavio Decio <ot...@mindspring.com>.
Hi,

I've been using Struts and JDeveloper RC1 for a while without any problems.
I just got RC2 and was trying to compile my system and I keep getting errors
such as:

Error: java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError:
org.apache.struts.taglib.logic.EqualTag

As far as I could see in the javadocs, this means something wrong happened
when a static variable was initialized. My suspicion is that this might have
to do with the taglib's Resource file, but I'm not sure.

I'd appreciate if anyone has any idea about this issue.

Thanks!

Otavio