Posted to dev@tinkerpop.apache.org by Stephen Mallette <sp...@gmail.com> on 2017/08/09 15:15:26 UTC

[DISCUSS] Documentation Organization

I've been thinking about documentation a bit. I don't think folks are aware
of all the documentation that we have. The typical example is the IO
Reference docs which no one every seems to find:

http://tinkerpop.apache.org/docs/current/dev/io

I long ago added this documentation landing page:

http://tinkerpop.apache.org/docs/current

which I also think no one really knows about, but it lists all of our
documentation and puts it all into categories. I've updated that a few
moments ago a little bit (but have not yet published) with a few more
changes to come:

https://github.com/apache/tinkerpop/commit/0108bfcc0c1646e23a92a459f12dd8f48b80a233

I think we should make this "Compendium" page more the focus of where folks
go to get documentation. That would mean:

1. On the TinkerPop home page, remove "Tutorials" and "Publications"
sections - right now they are in sync with the Compendium. I sense we're
missing a few useful publications there. It might also be nice to offer a
better explanation of what each publication is and why a user would want to
read them. "Graphendodonticology" is an awesome post, but the title really
doesn't give anyone a hint as to why they would want to click on it. We
can't really do that now on the home page without blowing it out super long.
2. Change the "Documentation" section on the home page to basically look
like this:

* TinkerPop Documentation
** Reference Documentation
* Upgrade Documentation
* Javadoc - [core] / [full]

So basically, the first bullet above will go to the compendium. The rest of
the links should be self-explanatory.
3. Change the Documentation/Publications to link to the
Compendium#Publications

Any thoughts on the matter?

Re: [DISCUSS] Documentation Organization

Posted by Stephen Mallette <sp...@gmail.com>.
I finally got a run of tp32 to build (and publish) after days of hanging in
giraph. I don't know how it suddenly started working but it did. I have no
idea yet if it is consistently working. master is still failing....it just
hangs and the hadoop logs just fill indefinitely with:

2017-08-15 21:55:30,699 INFO [IPC Server handler 23 on 33500]
org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TaskAttemptListenerImpl: Progress of TaskAttempt
attempt_1502824851008_0007_m_000001_0 is : 1.0
2017-08-15 21:55:33,743 INFO [IPC Server handler 18 on 33500]
org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TaskAttemptListenerImpl: Progress of TaskAttempt
attempt_1502824851008_0007_m_000001_0 is : 1.0
2017-08-15 21:55:36,776 INFO [IPC Server handler 19 on 33500]
org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TaskAttemptListenerImpl: Progress of TaskAttempt
attempt_1502824851008_0007_m_000001_0 is : 1.0
2017-08-15 21:55:38,923 INFO [IPC Server handler 14 on 33500]
org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TaskAttemptListenerImpl: Progress of TaskAttempt
attempt_1502824851008_0007_m_000002_0 is : 1.0

It fails for both local doc generation and in docker. It also fails the
same way if you execute a giraph job on its own from the console. I asked
Ted to run docs since tp31 published fine for him (and for me). On his
system tp32 generated through giraph then died in gremlin-python using
docker. Kuppitz and I have had largely the same build problems on both
branches. Ultimately, this must be something environmental (though docker
should be the great equalizer) with hadoop....but I'm not sure what. I
suppose if you (or anyone else) can spare some processing today, see if you
can generate docs on tp32 or master and let me know your findings.

Posted by Robert Dale <ro...@gmail.com>.
Anything you need help with?

Posted by Stephen Mallette <sp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robert Dale <ro...@gmail.com>.