Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Jem Brand <je...@hotmail.com> on 2013/01/21 23:49:00 UTC

fyi don't know if yr aware of this

someone selling yr software on ebay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Office-2003-Office-2007-Office-2010-Fully-Microsoft-Compatible-/190785564791?pt=UK_Computing_Other_Computing_Networking&hash=item2c6bb4b077

Re: fyi don't know if yr aware of this

Posted by Andrew Douglas Pitonyak <an...@pitonyak.org>.
On 01/21/2013 07:05 PM, Stan Helton wrote:
> On the other hand, this one seems a bit overpriced ($4.95):
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEWEST-APACHE-OPEN-OFFICE-3-4-MASTER-INSTALL-DVD-LINUX-MAC-WINDOWS-BONUS-CD-/370639582458

Just posting a sale to ebay costs money. So, I figure they have the cost
of posting to ebay, the commission that ebay takes on the sale, and then
there are the costs to produce and mail. I assume that a regular CD,
postage, and the disc mailer probably cost around $1 or a bit more. If
ebay ends up with $2 to $3, that does not leave a bunch of profit. Kudos
for a lower price for those that do not have an internet connection (but
then why would they be on ebay).

--
Andrew Pitonyak
Info:  http://www.pitonyak.org/oo.php

Re: fyi don't know if yr aware of this

Posted by Fan Zheng <zh...@gmail.com>.
I have visit the link just now. And as I considered, many many positive
feedbacks, but with no bidding:)

personally I would thank the person who selling the AOO on EBAY, which give
an opertunity for us on promotion.

Re: fyi don't know if yr aware of this

Posted by Steve Hawkins Sr <sm...@eastpoint.net>.
sounds like a deal to me.......  5 including shipping is not worth my time

--
Please excuse any misspells or punctuation errors.  Thanks
Steve M Hawkins Sr Tech Consultant

Re: fyi don't know if yr aware of this

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 7:05 PM, Stan Helton <st...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm unfamiliar with UK postage rates, but 99 cents seems within reason for a
> CD/DVD.  On the other hand, this one seems a bit overpriced ($4.95):
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEWEST-APACHE-OPEN-OFFICE-3-4-MASTER-INSTALL-DVD-LINUX-MAC-WINDOWS-BONUS-CD-/370639582458
>
> FYI -- At today's exchange rates the US CD is twice the price of the UK CD.

The Apache License does not put any price restriction on distribution.
 You can give it away for free, or sell it for 1 million dollars, if
you can find a buyer.  Of course, for something freely available for
download, competition will tend drive the price down to a small
increment for the media, shipping and convenience.

-Rob

Posted by Stan Helton <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Steve Hawkins Sr <sm...@eastpoint.net>.