Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Linda Hull <ch...@gmail.com> on 2022/11/06 18:03:52 UTC

Calc Spreadsheet Questions

I'm on Windows 10, Open Office 4.1.11.

I'd like to:

1. Make the cells and text in a Calc spreadsheet larger, easier to read.
2. Put data on a spreadsheet that appears in a Writer document.  I send
simple letters, don't know page styles etc.

Are there directions somewhere or can someone explain the steps?

3. In the past, when I've saved and reopened a spreadsheet, the headings I
put in appear lower down.  Is there a way to make them stay at the top?

Thanks so much!

Linda

Re: Calc Spreadsheet Questions (Linda)

Posted by PCS <pe...@bigpond.com>.
1.	Make the font size bigger, then make the row height bigger, to fit the selected font size, or select optimal height to have the spreadsheet automatically adjust the row height for the text size, and also to auto-adjust for multiple lines of text in a cell if you use text wrapping, and finally adjust the cell width to fit the larger text or to determine where to wrap it.

•	If it is possible to change the default font size I don't know how, but if you create a template with the settings you prefer and save it as stationery you can open a new document that is ready to use without having to change font sizes etc.

2.	I don’t know how Windows deals with this but I believe OO and LO are pretty consistent across platforms (they certainly are on Mac and Linux, that is one of their ’selling’ points), so try copying the data in the Word document and using Edit / Paste Special / Paste Special… (in the first Paste Special menu), and in the next dialog box select “Use text import dialog”, then OK. Using LO on the Mac (I’ve recently switched from OO) that placed a group of tab or return separated numbers (see below) from a text document into different cells in the spreadsheet and made them able to be used in it (a simple copy and paste does not do this, it ignores the tabs and puts a whole row of numbers into a single cell). I’m pretty sure OO did the much same on the Mac and it should be pretty similar on Windows. Expert users probably have a better way of doing this, which could be worth learning if you are doing it often, but if you only do it occasionally and this works for you why waste time and effort learning to become an expert, just use the tools that you already have to hand.

123	456	789
987	654	321

This group of numbers was pasted into a spreadsheet as described above.

123	456	789
1368
987	654	321
1962

1110	1110	1110
3330

And these calculations were performed on them (the imported text size has been adjusted to be the same as the other text in this document).

•	If I have misunderstood and you are copying from a Spreadsheet to a text document, a simple copy and paste should work, though some text resizing and tidying up may be required. To copy largish portions of a sheet you could make a screen pic of the portion you want to use and insert that into your text document, but it will be displayed as a graphics object instead of being integrated into the text. If all that you want is a particular sheet or a selected portion of a sheet, with no other text or data that is not in the spreadsheet itself, it may be better just to save the selected portion of the spreadsheet as a PDF document, e.g. my wife operates a very small business and I do her monthly invoices that way and email out the PDF documents, because we can’t justify the cost of proper invoicing software for such a micro-business.

3.	Sorry, I’m not sure what’s happening there, maybe a Windows issue or maybe an OO setting that I’ve forgotten exists, or maybe something else entirely.

I hope some of this may be of use to you,

Peter.