Posted to user@mahout.apache.org by Ying Liao <yl...@gmail.com> on 2014/02/18 22:08:56 UTC

Mahout on Spark?

Just wonder what is the future of Mahout. We are seeing new stuff from
0xdata and skytree. And spark is also design for in-memory iterative
analysis. What about mahout? Will mahout run on top of spark in future?

Thanks,
Ying Liao

Re: Mahout on Spark?

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.
Agree that 'merging' is so infeasible as to not make sense. Mahout has
been ML on M/R and that's it's thing, which seems fine. IMHO this
project has been hurt by an active unwillingness to define scope, and
pretending it's helpful to have little bits of lots of ideas and
technologies.

I also don't see a point in trying to duplicate mllib. Just add to
mllib. It's Apache, etc. I also agree that being a bag of algorithms
is a bad idea and we have told the mllib folks as much FWIW.

The Spark / Databricks guys are the few qualified to manage
contributions to mllib, and are doing a heroic job of handling the
flood of PRs. (Does Matei sleep anymore?) But they're getting overrun,
and focused on getting the machinery of Spark really production-ready,
esp. on Hadoop. My concern about mllib in the short term is there
aren't enough expert brain cells to spare to manage the load of
production-izing work that mllib could use, because it's secondary to
core Spark. All the more reason I can't see, in practice, any spare
cycles available to do some kind of Mahout-integration anything.

(FWIW I have high hopes for mllib and assuming we can get some basic
stuff fixed we're going to replace M/R-based implementations with
Spark in the stuff I work on. still needs a decent RDF implementation.
But then again, so does Mahout :( )

Re: Mahout on Spark?

Posted by Suneel Marthi <su...@yahoo.com>.

On Wednesday, February 19, 2014 7:22 PM, Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 1:55 PM, peng <pc...@uowmail.edu.au> wrote:

> But maybe mahout can include contribs that M/R is not fit for, like
> downpour SGD or graph-based algorithms?

Yes.  Absolutely.

Downpour SGD is #1 on my list of features for 1.0, will start working on that once the MultiLayer Perceptron is functional and integrated into Mahout processing pipeline (should be by next week).

Re: Mahout on Spark?

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Re: Mahout on Spark?

Posted by Nick Pentreath <ni...@gmail.com>.
MLlib may be less production tested than Mahout that is true, but I would
say Spark is heavily production tested and getting close to a true 1.0
release. Why do you favour Hadoop for "sturdiness"? Spark uses HDFS as an
input source (or any Hadoop InputFormat) so benefits from the same fault
tolerance wrt input sources. Spark's fault tolerance model for tasks / jobs
is if anything superior to Hadoop M/R.

For a Downpour SGD-like implementation on Spark see:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-spark/pull/407. Assuming the framework
for Spark SGD / gradients etc is flexible enough, one should be able to
implement neural net / perceptron on top of this. Would be interested to
hear if it can be done easily with the current code framework.

Re: Mahout on Spark?

Posted by peng <pc...@uowmail.edu.au>.

Re: Mahout on Spark?

Posted by Sebastian Schelter <ss...@apache.org>.
Completely agree with Sean's statement.

Re: Mahout on Spark?

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.

Re: Mahout on Spark?

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.

Re: Mahout on Spark?

Posted by Jay Vyas <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: Mahout on Spark?

Posted by Gokhan Capan <gk...@gmail.com>.

Re: Mahout on Spark?

Posted by Gokhan Capan <gk...@gmail.com>.

Re: Mahout on Spark?

Posted by Dmitriy Lyubimov <dl...@gmail.com>.

Re: Mahout on Spark?

Posted by Dmitriy Lyubimov <dl...@gmail.com>.

Re: Mahout on Spark?

Posted by Sebastian Schelter <ss...@apache.org>.

Re: Mahout on Spark?

Posted by Nick Pentreath <ni...@gmail.com>.

Re: Mahout on Spark?

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Re: Mahout on Spark?

Posted by Nick Pentreath <ni...@gmail.com>.
Spark provides a "lower-level" ML library called MLlib. MLI / MLBase is
built on top of this and includes some high-level abstractions similar in
nature to distributed matrices / dataframes. But it's still pretty new and
rough at this point (https://github.com/amplab/MLI).
MLlib already provides (
https://github.com/apache/incubator-spark/tree/master/mllib/src/main/scala/org/apache/spark/mllib
):
- regression / classification (Log loss, SVM, squared loss with L1 / L2
regularization) via SGD
- soon will have decision trees / random forests
- clustering (K-Means)
- recommendations (Alternating Least Squares)
- SVD

In terms of implementations, IMO:
- ALS is superior to Mahout because it is block-distributed and so more
efficient. Dmitriy has some things he has been working on that indicate
that a GraphX implementation may be even more efficient.
- big downside currently is lack of sparse support (coming soon hopefully
in https://github.com/apache/incubator-spark/pull/575)
- K-means is probably a wash in terms of algorithm, though Spark will
probably be faster due to caching and maybe slightly better due to init
algorithm
- Mahout has the Streaming K-Means which is neat, and would be a cool
addition to MLlib
- Mahout has co-occurence based recommender stuff which, though I've not
used, seems very good in practice and again should not be too crazy to port
in principle
- I think Mahout has a few more linear algebra implementations, though
MLlib includes SVD
- Mahout has the various integration layers for recommender stuff in
particular
- Mahout has more in terms of featurizing (text, analyzers, hashing etc) -
though MLI provides some of this
- Mahout has more in terms of analysis of model performance (like various
evaluation metrics)
- Mahout has more in terms of things like analysis/summarizers and Ted's
new t-digest (though with some monoid-ification this can be applied in
Spark fairly trivially)

It would be really cool to see if a Spark backend for Mahout could be
developed (I know Dmitriy has looked at this in respect of
DistributedMatrix stuff), or at least parts ported over to Spark. A very
big potential pain point is if Spark doesn't adopt mahout-math (which seems
the case at the moment though undecided). Still, notwithstanding this I
feel a lot of stuff from Mahout can be adapted to Spark without necessarily
needing a total overhaul.

Re: Mahout on Spark?

Posted by Mohit Singh <mo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Mahout on Spark?