Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Ruth Hoffman <rh...@aesolves.com> on 2009/04/19 18:31:11 UTC

Adding components to an instance of OFBiz

Hello All:
I'm a big fan of OFBiz - nice job on the Apache site, BTW.
Congratulations - it is World class!

I've been using OFBiz off and on for a few years now for a number of
different projects. Recently, I had a requirement to add a custom
component to the application section of the framework. After a brief
search of the mailing lists (I have been away from the OFBiz
collaborative tools for sometime) and documentation I have the following
question:

Is there an automatic way to add a component to the framework - or is
this still a manual process? I don't see any obvious webtool or other
mechanism for doing this through OFBiz.

Regards,
Ruth Hoffman

Re: Adding components to an instance of OFBiz

Posted by Ruth Hoffman <rh...@aesolves.com>.
Hi Michael:
I agree concerning the SaaS model.
Ruth

Posted by Mustansar Mehmood <mu...@hrshaikh.com>.
+1
It does make sense to keep the deployment  independent of IDE's.
If an IDE can not deal with  a well written ant or maven build
files(build.xml/pom.xml) then developers need not to depend sp much on IDE's

Posted by Ruth Hoffman <rh...@aesolves.com>.
Hi Aswath:

Posted by Marc Morin <ma...@emforium.com>.
Hey,  an Eclipse plugin that understand the OFBiz xml file structures and relationships between screens, controllers, loaders, forms, menus, minilang, servicedefs,... that would be awesome!

I know that's not what were talking about, but developing an application on OFBiz in Eclipse is very "unsatisfying". Continually, using the workspace search....  refactoring screens, properties, .....

I've never done any Eclipse plugin work before, anybody else have a comment on difficulty involved?

Posted by Mustansar Mehmood <mu...@hrshaikh.com>.
+1
eclipse pulgin is a better idea where an application developer will have
the
and recommend directory structures and classpath variables set.
access to the necessary framework API's hence no need to write the same
code to register application with the framework again and again by hand.
Application will developers will get more chance to focus on the
business logic of the application than rewriting(by hand) the code which
is pretty much same for every application.
Also, ofbiz best practices regarding accessing the  framework can be
enforced
This will help the framework to become more and more evolved and
applications can
Mustansar

Posted by Ruth Hoffman <rh...@aesolves.com>.
Hi Jacques:
Just read the guidelines for JIRA use. Thanks.
I only briefly looked at the Neogia documentation. I need to go back and
review more thoroughly to see if this is what I had in mind.
Thanks again.
Ruth

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
You are welcome Ruth,

From: "Ruth Hoffman" <rh...@aesolves.com>

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
Tim, I have been told over and over not to create a Jira for Discussion
but to use the Mailing list.

has this policy changed?

Tim Ruppert sent the following on 4/21/2009 6:56 AM:
> > Please just create a JIRA issue and then get rolling on it.  You'll
have lots of people there to comment on it I'm sure.

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.

Posted by Tim Ruppert <ti...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Ruth Hoffman <rh...@aesolves.com>.
Hi Tim:

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
And also please discuss in ML before creating a new Jira issue...

Jacques

From: "Tim Ruppert" <ti...@hotwaxmedia.com>

Posted by Tim Ruppert <ti...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by "Michael Xu (xudong)" <do...@wizitsoft.com>.