Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org> on 2016/06/06 19:44:21 UTC

[BCEL] 5.3 is going to be messy

Hi all,

I had a brief look at the state of BCEL wrt doing a last 5.x release. Well,
it feels like that is going to be a mess:

- We have @since 6.0 annotations all over the code.
- We have same deprecated classes - why if the code is currently in the
shape for the 6.0 release, there should be no deprecated stuff
- We have chances.xml which are talking about the next big 6.0 release.
- We have renamed package coordinates which make it hard to generate a
Clirr report.

This will all have to be resolved before we can do the 5.3 release. I'm
currently wondering what might be the best way to push out the 5.x release.
I think we should create the 5.x branch ASAP, so that the way is free for
work on the important stuff in trunk. Hopefully this will enable us to
implement the missing bits for Java 8 support and get the 6.0 release out
of the door soon.

Thoughts?
Benedikt

Re: [BCEL] 5.3 is going to be messy

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 1:02 PM, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 12:44 PM, Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I had a brief look at the state of BCEL wrt doing a last 5.x release.
>> Well,
>> it feels like that is going to be a mess:
>>
>> - We have @since 6.0 annotations all over the code.
>> - We have same deprecated classes - why if the code is currently in the
>> shape for the 6.0 release, there should be no deprecated stuff
>> - We have chances.xml which are talking about the next big 6.0 release.
>> - We have renamed package coordinates which make it hard to generate a
>> Clirr report.
>>
>> This will all have to be resolved before we can do the 5.3 release. I'm
>> currently wondering what might be the best way to push out the 5.x
>> release.
>> I think we should create the 5.x branch ASAP, so that the way is free for
>> work on the important stuff in trunk. Hopefully this will enable us to
>> implement the missing bits for Java 8 support and get the 6.0 release out
>> of the door soon.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>

> It seems like we are stuck in the middle b/w 6.0 and 5.3.
>
> How about letting bcel6 stand and finish 6.0? This makes Sebb's recent
> work a bit of a waste but might make migrating from 5.2 easier anyway.
>
> We can do the best we can for bcel6. We can do more clean ups and so on.
>
> Some users will migrate, others can be asked to provide patches to 5.2 for
> a 5.3.
>
> Then we can gather patches for a 100% BC 5.3. If 5.2 users care that much
> for 5.2 instead of migrating, I would help that they would be ready to step
> in with patches.

Fat fingers! "I would help that they would be ready to step in with
patches." ->  "I would _hope_ that they would be ready to step in with
patches."

<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
+1 Torsten

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 7 June 2016 at 14:29, Dave Brosius <db...@apache.org> wrote:

>>> ...and that line of thinking is why it feels like commons projects are
>>> effectively stuck in the past.
>>
>> And maybe the ease of upgrade is why they are popular with users.
>

> What upgrade? When have the users had to upgrade? like 3 years ago?
>>

>>> No one needs to upgrade. If your projects live in the past - there are
>>> bug
>>> fix releases.
>>
>> That's not the case in general. Very few commons projects maintain
>> parallel releases.
>>
>>> But if you want the new shiny then you as well should be OK to put in
>>> some
>>> effort to do so.
>>
>> Why should the user have to do so?
>

> There's one thing above all else that really is painful to the user. No
> upgrades!
> Why are there no upgrades? Because there are no developers!
> Why are there no developers? Because they are punished with a horrendous
> development experience. Oh boy, can't wait to develop with 1.5 in SVN!!
> that's a treat.

You are conflating several issues in one.

The Java version is orthogonal to compatibility.
The source code implementation is nothing to do with either the Java
version or compatibility.

Posted by Dave Brosius <db...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
On Tue, 7 Jun 2016 11:39:09 +0100, sebb wrote:
> On 7 June 2016 at 11:15, Torsten Curdt <tc...@vafer.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> 1) I don't believe we should force users to migrate their code in
>>> order to support java 7/8.
>>>

>> ...and that line of thinking is why it feels like commons projects
>> are
>> effectively stuck in the past.
>
> And maybe the ease of upgrade is why they are popular with users.
>
>> No one needs to upgrade. If your projects live in the past - there
>> are bug
>> fix releases.
>
> That's not the case in general. Very few commons projects maintain
> parallel releases.

And why not?

Gilles

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@vafer.org>.

> > So? What's your point there?
>
> Commons libraries are generally very low level, and are often embedded
> deep within software stacks.
>
> So changes which require downstream changes are expensive when
> considered as a whole.
>
> This is very different from many other ASF projects which can
> generally be updated independently because there are no dependencies
> on them.
>
> My view is that we must not ignore the effect of Commons changes on
> the entire ecosystem.

Understood - but maybe we should also not overstate its role.

If we release something it does not automatically get applied to all those
software stacks. Only once people decide to upgrade will it end up in those
stacks.

And if people upgrade from foo 1.x to 2.x and expect everything to just
work then those are not the people we should take into consideration for
this discussion.

cheers,
Torsten

Re: [BCEL] 5.3 is going to be messy

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@vafer.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Jun 7, 2016 3:17 AM, "Torsten Curdt" <tc...@vafer.org> wrote:

> > 1) I don't believe we should force users to migrate their code in
> > order to support java 7/8.
> >

> ...and that line of thinking is why it feels like commons projects are
> effectively stuck in the past.

+1!

> No one needs to upgrade.

+1!!

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@vafer.org>.

Re: [BCEL] Revert package rename in trunk (Was: [BCEL] 5.3 is going to be messy)

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
Andrey Loskutov <lo...@gmx.de> schrieb am Di., 7. Juni 2016 um 19:49 Uhr:

> On Tuesday 07 June 2016 17:01 Benedikt Ritter wrote:
> > Okay.
> >
> > - I'm going to revert the package rename.
> > - We're going to create a binary compatible release for Java 7 and Java 8
> > support.
> > - We will bump the major version number to indicate that there are
> massive
> > changes in this release.
>
> I *really* appreciate your effort and your time!
> It is hard to change decisions and it is hard to maintain compatibility,
> so many thanks!
> I hope to see and to try out the changes soon.

You're welcome. The changes should be mirrored to GitHub soon. Furthermore
I've configured a jenkins build which should push the artifacts to the
Apache Snapshot repository. You can use that for testing.

Benedikt

Posted by Andrey Loskutov <lo...@gmx.de>.

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
I messed up the rename. I'm currently fixing that.

Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org> schrieb am Di., 7. Juni 2016 um
19:01 Uhr:

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
Okay.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
Fine by me

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Andrey Loskutov <lo...@gmx.de>.

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
Hello,

Posted by Andrey Loskutov <lo...@gmx.de>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
I suspect Gary wants a 5.3 release because the CLIRR Maven plugin fails in Java 8 which has resulted in https://github.com/mojohaus/clirr-maven-plugin/issues/3 <https://github.com/mojohaus/clirr-maven-plugin/issues/3>, LANG-1025, and WICKET-5836 among others. We ran into this in Log4j, which I am pretty sure what got Gary motivated.

Ralph

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 6 June 2016 at 21:02, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 12:44 PM, Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I had a brief look at the state of BCEL wrt doing a last 5.x release. Well,
>> it feels like that is going to be a mess:
>>
>> - We have @since 6.0 annotations all over the code.
>> - We have same deprecated classes - why if the code is currently in the
>> shape for the 6.0 release, there should be no deprecated stuff
>> - We have chances.xml which are talking about the next big 6.0 release.
>> - We have renamed package coordinates which make it hard to generate a
>> Clirr report.
>>
>> This will all have to be resolved before we can do the 5.3 release. I'm
>> currently wondering what might be the best way to push out the 5.x release.
>> I think we should create the 5.x branch ASAP, so that the way is free for
>> work on the important stuff in trunk. Hopefully this will enable us to
>> implement the missing bits for Java 8 support and get the 6.0 release out
>> of the door soon.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>

> It seems like we are stuck in the middle b/w 6.0 and 5.3.
>
> How about letting bcel6 stand and finish 6.0? This makes Sebb's recent work
> a bit of a waste but might make migrating from 5.2 easier anyway.

> We can do the best we can for bcel6. We can do more clean ups and so on.
>
> Some users will migrate, others can be asked to provide patches to 5.2 for
> a 5.3.

-1 for several reasons.

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.
Gary Gregory wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 12:44 PM, Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I had a brief look at the state of BCEL wrt doing a last 5.x release.
>> Well, it feels like that is going to be a mess:
>>
>> - We have @since 6.0 annotations all over the code.
>> - We have same deprecated classes - why if the code is currently in the
>> shape for the 6.0 release, there should be no deprecated stuff
>> - We have chances.xml which are talking about the next big 6.0 release.
>> - We have renamed package coordinates which make it hard to generate a
>> Clirr report.
>>
>> This will all have to be resolved before we can do the 5.3 release. I'm
>> currently wondering what might be the best way to push out the 5.x
>> release. I think we should create the 5.x branch ASAP, so that the way is
>> free for work on the important stuff in trunk. Hopefully this will enable
>> us to implement the missing bits for Java 8 support and get the 6.0
>> release out of the door soon.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>

> It seems like we are stuck in the middle b/w 6.0 and 5.3.
>
> How about letting bcel6 stand and finish 6.0? This makes Sebb's recent
> work a bit of a waste but might make migrating from 5.2 easier anyway.
>
> We can do the best we can for bcel6. We can do more clean ups and so on.
>
> Some users will migrate, others can be asked to provide patches to 5.2 for
> a 5.3.
>
> Then we can gather patches for a 100% BC 5.3. If 5.2 users care that much
> for 5.2 instead of migrating, I would help that they would be ready to
> step in with patches.

+1

Cheers,
J�rg