Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Jonathan Ariel <io...@gmail.com> on 2008/01/22 20:47:07 UTC

multivalued dynamic fields performance

Hi,
Do you know if there is a performance impact when using multivalued dynamic
fields when it's not always necessary to store more than one value?
Since I'm going to add dynamic fields to my schema and I'm not sure if the
field will be multivalued or not, I thought about doing them multivalued. In
general I will just add one value, but eventually I could add more than one.

What do you think?

Thanks!

Jonathan

Re: multivalued dynamic fields performance

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org>.
On Jan 22, 2008 9:29 PM, Jonathan Ariel <io...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If I'm going to have nearly always one value and in some cases 4 or 5 values
> I would feel the penalty when faceting? Does it depends on the amount of
> values in my field? For those documents that I'm going to have just one
> value, am I going to penalize them that much?

What matters is the total number of *unique* values for that field, in
the whole index.
The other factor is the number of documents in your index.

-Yonik

Re: multivalued dynamic fields performance

Posted by Jonathan Ariel <io...@gmail.com>.
Thanks!
So there is just one penalty when faceting, which is my case.
"TermEnum is good for a limited number of different indexed terms in the
field, and allows multiple terms per field per document"
How much is limited number of different indexed terms in the field?