Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com> on 2017/07/16 17:05:39 UTC

[FlexJS] Avoiding Language.closure (was Re: [FlexJS] Debugging package)

I figured out the problem.

org.apache.flex.utils.callLater has the following code:
setTimeout(makeCalls, 0);

That compiles to:
setTimeout(org.apache.flex.utils.Language.closure(makeCalls, this, 'makeCalls'), 0);

When Language.closure is called, it messes up the scope of the calls variable and subsequent calls to makeCalls step on each other. I believe this is because makeCalls is bound to the package object of the callLater function.

Is there any way to prevent rewriting of function calls to Language.closure?

If "setTimeout(makeCalls, 0);" is cross-compiled exactly to: "setTimeout(makeCalls, 0);", it works like I’d expect it to.

Thanks,
Harbs

Re: [FlexJS] Avoiding Language.closure (was Re: [FlexJS] Debugging package)

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.
"var self = this;” is added to every method that has inner/local
functions.  Use of "this" in local functions is changed to use "self" in
order to get AS scoping in JS.  I think we currently generate a self=this
even if the local functions don't need it.  Someday the compiler will be
smarter about that.

If the compiler is now generating self=this where there are no local
functions, that would be a bug.

-Alex

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
A directive could be a solution.

But I think this is an issue with any static method. If a closure is used inside a static method, or a function declared inside a static method, it should not use Language.closure.

FWIW, the Google compile complains about “this” being used in a static method as well:

    [mxmlc] Jul 16, 2017 7:26:08 PM com.google.javascript.jscomp.LoggerErrorManager println
    [mxmlc] WARNING: /Users/harbs/Documents/ApacheFlex/flex-asjs/examples/flexjs/DebuggingExample/bin/js-debug/org/apache/flex/utils/callLater.js:35: WARNING - dangerous use of this in static method org.apache.flex.utils.callLater
    [mxmlc]   setTimeout(org.apache.flex.utils.Language.closure(makeCalls, this, 'makeCalls'), 0);

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.