Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org> on 2012/03/05 16:25:51 UTC

GSoC 2012 is coming

Hi;

As you know, once each year Google selects projects that they
would like to fund by paying students for tasks.
The Google Summer of Code program is a huge opportunity for
projects like OpenOffice in order to achieve technical objectives
and to get new blood into in the project.

Being under the ASF umbrella greatly simplifies the administrative
efforts to participate in such program but still we have homework
to do:

1) We need good project ideas. These necessarily have to be
coding projects and have to have an estimated difficulty that
permits effective results in a summer.
2) We need mentors; that is, people with technical skills that
know what to be done and can provide help in the details. It
obviously also means people with time to review code and
guide complete newcomers to the code.

It is not specifically required but some logic would imply that:
1) Mentors will have to be committers to ensure the results
will become part of source tree.
2) Selected students will have to submit an ICLA.
3) A proposed project must be backed by a mentor.

I would also expect that being very optimistic we will get
very few slots for AOO: we are under friendly competition
with other Apache projects that are interesting for students
and that have experience dealing with GSoC students from
previous years.

best regards,

Pedro.

Re: GSoC 2012 is coming

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.
On 03/19/12 05:28, eric b wrote:

> I just proposed to become a mentor for Apache. Waiting for the answer
> :-)
>
> If accepted, I'll propose several subjects.

I think it's done the other way around: You propose ideas *now*
(the students are already looking for projects) and in the same
JIRA issue you propose to mentor.

> Where can we see all the current proposals ?

Other than the ideas I posted I haven't seen none. I think we should
have a general purpose Wiki page for development ideas.

Pedro.

[update] Re: GSoC 2012 is coming

Posted by eric b <er...@free.fr>.
Hi again,

Le 19 mars 12 à 18:42, eric b a écrit :

>> 2) As a mandatory pre-requisite make sure your Apache ID and
>> Melange link_id are mapped in [2]
>

> After a quick check, It isn't.
>
> What is the process to make it happen ? (shall I commit something ?)

Done : GsocLinkId.txt is now up to date.

Regards,
Eric

--
qɔᴉɹə
Blog : http://eric.bachard.org/news

Re: GSoC 2012 is coming

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 1:42 PM, eric b <er...@free.fr> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Le 19 mars 12 à 18:12, Rob Weir a écrit :
>

>> On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 6:28 AM, eric b <er...@free.fr> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Rob,

>>> I just proposed to become a mentor for Apache. Waiting for the answer
>>>  :-)
>>>
>>> If accepted, I'll propose several subjects.
>>>

>> It is a good idea to get your ideas listed ASAP.
>

> Ok, then I'll do.
>

>> Students are already browsing and asking questions.  I'm already talking
>> to two students about one of my ODF Toolkit ideas.
>>

> Yes, they are fast  ;-)
>

>> The proposal needs to get into JIRA and labeled "gsoc2012"  and "mentor"
>> if you are mentoring it. See what I have here:
>>
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ODFTOOLKIT-308
>>

> Reading, thanks.
>

>> Since our project doesn't use JIRA, you would could add to the Community
>> Development JIRA.
>>

> Sorry, I'm not sure I got what you mean  :-/
>
> What shall I do ?

JIRA is here:  https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/Dashboard.jspa

(Some Apache projects use JIRA, some like AOO use Bugzilla, but the
GSoC issues all need to be in JIRA)

Create an account if you don't already have one. Put your idea into
JIRA, assigned to the "Community Development" project.  The target
audience is the student, so put your proposal right into a new issue.
And then label the issue with "mentor" and "gsoc2012".   A view based
on those labels is used to show the students the available projects
from Apache.

-Rob

Re: GSoC 2012 is coming

Posted by eric b <er...@free.fr>.
Hi,

Re: GSoC 2012 is coming

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 6:28 AM, eric b <er...@free.fr> wrote:
> Hi Rob,
>
> Le 16 mars 12 à 23:01, Rob Weir a écrit :
>

>> On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 5:39 PM, Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi;

>>> Here are some ideas:
>>>

>> It looks like Apache was accepted in GSoC 2012.:
>>
>> http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org/google/gsoc2012/apache
>>
>> Is anyone entering any proposals?
>

> I just proposed to become a mentor for Apache. Waiting for the answer  :-)
>
> If accepted, I'll propose several subjects.

It is a good idea to get your ideas listed ASAP. Students are already

Re: GSoC 2012 is coming

Posted by eric b <er...@free.fr>.
Hi Rob,

Re: GSoC 2012 is coming

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.
Hello;

--- Ven 16/3/12, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> ha scritto:

> It looks like Apache was accepted in GSoC 2012.:
>
> http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org/google/gsoc2012/apache
>
> Is anyone entering any proposals?  It looks like Pedro
> had some good ideas here.

I did offer some ideas but I am pretty new to this
code base (really!) so I would prefer someone else
in the role of mentor. If there is an option to
co-mentor I'd be glad to help but someone else
should lead.

Pedro.

Re: GSoC 2012 is coming

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Re: GSoC 2012 is coming

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.
Hi;

Re: GSoC 2012 is coming

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 1:55 PM, Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com> wrote:

> Google Summer of Code is the ideal opportunity for you to attract new
> contributors to your projects.

I just entered a proposal for the ODF Toolkit project:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ODFTOOLKIT-308

It would be great if we had a few proposals for OpenOffice as well.
Anyone want to be a  GSoC mentor?  You can get started by reading
here:

http://community.apache.org/guide-to-being-a-mentor.html

Re: GSoC 2012 is coming

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.

Re: GSoC 2012 is coming

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.

Re: GSoC 2012 is coming

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 10:25 AM, Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi;
>
> As you know, once each year Google selects projects that they
> would like to fund by paying students for tasks.
> The Google Summer of Code program is a huge opportunity for
> projects like OpenOffice in order to achieve technical objectives
> and to get new blood into in the project.
>
> Being under the ASF umbrella greatly simplifies the administrative
> efforts to participate in such program but still we have homework
> to do:

Looking at the timeline here:

http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/events/google/gsoc2012

Mentoring organizations (that would be the ASF) have until this Friday
to apply. Assuming ASF is approved,

Google notifies the accepted organizations on March 16h.

Students look at open projects from the 17th through the 25th,

So, if we want to be involved, we need to move fast.

But I'm not sure who "we" is.  Do Apache projects, including podlings
apply for this?  Or is it up to individual GSoC mentors to do this?
Is there any community or PMC review or approval required?