Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com> on 2006/11/23 02:51:01 UTC

Re: Checkstyle Behind A Firewall

On 10/1/06, Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org> wrote:
> In the Maven2 build of Shale, I'm having a problem generating the site when
> running behind a firewall.  A bit of research indicates that the problem
> relates to the following configuration setting for the Checkstyle plugin.
>
>             <plugin>
>                 <artifactId>maven-checkstyle-plugin</artifactId>
>                 <configuration>
>                     <configLocation>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/shale/maven/trunk/build/shale_checks.xml
> </configLocation>
>                 </configuration>
>             </plugin>
>
> This setting works fine when not behind a firewall ... but when I am, it
> fails (even though I have the correct proxy set up in by settings.xml file,
> and I can download from repositories normally).  Is there any way to
> convince the Checkstyle plugin to use the http proxy for looking up this
> configuration resource?

I have the same problem Craig.

A workaround is to temporarily hack the poms, since I am working on
maven plugins which are configured in parent poms to use:
    http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/plugins/trunk/maven-checkstyle-plugin/src/main/resources/config/maven_checks.xml
    http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/plugins/trunk/maven-checkstyle-plugin/src/main/resources/config/maven-header.txt

Another workaround is to use
    mvn -U site
For some reason checkstyle uses the proxy settings then.

This raises a pet issue of mine is proxy support.
Should all plugins be using wagon (or some common URL handling code,
or somehow replacing socket connections with proxy aware ones) so that
this issue is fixed once and for all?  Until there is common way to
handle this adding NTLM support will be painful.